Turning the car off

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Turning the car off

Okay, so I'm not very bright, but help me understand what is happening...

Is this correct?
  • If my foot is on the brake and the car is in park, then pressing the power button turns the entire system off and it is safe to leave the car, right?
  • If my foot isn't on the brake and I press the power button, what state is the car in? It can be driven, right? If so, what does one accomplish when the power button is pressed without the brake?
  • In the example above, if I want to properly turn it off, what do I have to do? Press the brake and power button to turn it on and then repeat the process to turn it off?
Thanks!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:38 AM
blahhhhhh!
Default Re: Turning the car off

Usually when I shut off my car, I just press the power button. I don't have my foot on the brake unless I'm starting the car. I don't think it matters when you're shutting it off

Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 AM

To power down, you simply need to put the car in Park, and press the power button. As Katie says, it does not matter whether your foot is on the brake. The Ready indicator in the display will go out, confirming that the hybrid system is indeed shut down. The indicator light on the power button will also go out.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM

Thanks, I got intimidated because a few times (car is 4 days old) I left the car and it was beeping at me.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Dazed and Confused

If you have your foot on the brake and turn it off and keep your foot on the brake, I have seen to power light come back on, but it goes out when you release the brake.

It is wierd getting used to the smart key system, but once you are used to it, you will miss it in your other cars.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 AM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by ag4ever
It is wierd getting used to the smart key system, but once you are used to it, you will miss it in your other cars.
True! I had to borrow my boyfriend's truck (the camry was stuck in the driveway!) and I sat in there for about 2 minutes poking at where I thought the start button should be... then I remembered HELLO, YOU HAVE TO USE A KEY!!! man, i felt dumb hahah

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Just to address the question of "How do I make bloody good and sure the thing is off?", I always just take a peek at the dash and confirm the Ready indicator is off.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just wish the car had a plain and simple "on" indicator.

No such thing.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if the car was actually shut off.

When this happens, I go through the process of starting the car (making sure the "Ready" light comes on), then hitting the button. This way I no it's off.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM

The car does have a simple on indicator. The power button light is always lit when the car is on. If it is off, the car is off.

I find though that the Ready indicator on the dash is good enough, unless I've only had the car in the accessory or on mode, without starting the hybrid system. If I've just been driving, then I know for a fact that if I hit the power button and the Ready light goes out, I'm done.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

You are incorrect. The indicator on the button is not sufficient. That light also comes on sometimes when the car is OFF.
Also, the car can be on when the 'Ready' light is off, as you mention.

Quick Reply: Turning the car off

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands