Turning the car off

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Turning the car off

I find that the easiest and surest way to tell whether the car is OFF is to check the clock. If the clock is "on" then the car is not OFF; if the clock is "off" then the car is definitely OFF. The clock stays "on" in ACCessory mode too. The READY indicator won't show if the car is in ACC mode, and so isn't an absolute assurance that you're actually fully OFF. Also, the Power button light will come "on" if you press the brake pedal, even when the car is OFF, and in any case, it's inconvenient since it's obscured by the steering wheel in my case.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 11-30-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by hamm3r
You are incorrect. The indicator on the button is not sufficient. That light also comes on sometimes when the car is OFF.
Also, the car can be on when the 'Ready' light is off, as you mention.
Well, I was incorrect, but not in the way you thought. Where I was wrong in my last post was when I said the power button light is on all the time when the car is on - that's not true. It will be (or at least can be) out when the Ready light is on.

Back to the issue I was trying to answer, which is "How do I know this thing is actually completely and unequivocally shut off?" The Ready indicator will be off, and there will be no light (or a green light) on the power button. With this combination, the car is OFF.

Any other combination and either the hybrid system or the electrical system has been left on.

OK, OK, I know someone's going to say it, so I'll beat you to it: "What if one of the indicator lights burn out?" Then all bets are off.

Last edited by rmorrow; 11-30-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 AM

By the way, I'm not saying I like the way this works - just that it is possible to know when the car is off. I agree that it could be easier. Personally, I'd like a light on the dash that comes ON when the car is off.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Now, I am getting confused by it all.

LOL!

I usually make sure the radio isn't on and the lights on the dash are not on and that my car doesn't beep at me when I try to lock it.

Last edited by Sky Blue; 11-30-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:57 AM

Too bad that can't ask that nice lady who tells you how to set up your phone to say "hey, you forgot to turn off the car"...instead of "beep".

Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 PM

I found it - the indicator light on the dash that only comes on when th car is completely shut down. It's the Security/Engine Imobilizer indicator. It only flashes when the car is truely off. If anyone out there can prove otherwise, please speak up - I may have missed something. Otherwise, I think that's what I'll be looking for.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by rmorrow
I found it - the indicator light on the dash that only comes on when th car is completely shut down. It's the Security/Engine Imobilizer indicator. It only flashes when the car is truely off. If anyone out there can prove otherwise, please speak up - I may have missed something. Otherwise, I think that's what I'll be looking for.
I think that's probably the best indicator, that thing never flashes when the car is on.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 PM

You would figure they would make the indicator more obvious. This is about the 4th post I've read on people not knowing if their car is truly off. A light green glow around the start button would be nice (or whatever color) to indicate the system is on.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
SPL

I still say that the simplest way to tell whether the TCH is OFF is to check the fluorescent clock display (next to the immobilizer light). If the clock display is "on," the car is not OFF. What could be easier and quicker?

Stan