Vibration on take off from stop/roll? Is this normal?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Vibration on take off from stop/roll? Is this normal?

I am considering buying a used 2007 TCH. It has low miles and full remaining factory warranty. I took it for a test drive and loved it, but the only question is when acceleration slowly, from a stop or a roll, the car has a mild vibration or shimmy. It seems like the transmission is trying to link up or the electric and gas systems are coordinating. I have never driven any Toyota Hybrid, let alone a Camry hybrid, and was wondering if this is normal and if any owners out there are nice enough to tell me if they have ever encountered it if it is not normal.
I spoke to someone at Don McGill Toyota in houston, Tx and they told me that a slight hesitation or vibration from a stop is normal for the hybrid as the system is trying to be efficient.
Can any owner give me their take?
- Mark

Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Vibration on take off from stop/roll? Is this normal?

First guess is, that was the gasoline engine starting up and it is perfectly normal.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

You probably experienced the "shudder" that occurs when the ICE (internal combustion engine) starts up. Perfectly normal and something that most owners get used to. Bothered me at first, but now I don't even think about it.

It's not quite as noticeable on the RX400h, probably due to the larger size and weight. It's a small price to pay for the increased fuel efficiency of the hybrid system.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Pragmatist

The TCH doesn't really have a transmission, as such. It doesn't shift gears. All of the gears that are in the car are engaged at all times. And the gear system is very simple, compared to what you usually find in an automatic transmission. The only complicated part of the gear system is that it has three motors attached at all times.

It does start the gasoline engine when it needs the power. It does not have a little electric "starter motor" like a conventional car. Instead, it uses one of its big electric motors to spin the gas engine up to about 1000 rpm, and then starts adding fuel and spark at the right moments. The result is that the engine "catches" immediately, and starts producing torque. When that happens, the system has to adjust the electric motor speeds so that the output from the whole system continues at the desired speed and torque output. That transition (when the gas engine starts) makes a momentary vibration, often described as a "shudder".

The slight hesitation is the car diverting some electric power to start the gas engine. When you start moving, it runs on electric-only until it realizes that you have pushed the gas pedal too much for that mode. It will run on just the electric motors if it has enough juice in the battery and if you are gentle enough on the gas pedal. But, as you continue pushing the gas pedal farther down, or if it doesn't have enough juice in the battery, it makes the decision to start the gas motor. At that point, it diverts some electric power from moving the car to starting the engine. The engine-start takes only a fraction of a second.

Every car I have ever driven has little quirks and noises that you get used to during the first thousand miles or so. After that, you only notice them when you pay attention. When I'm not paying attention, I don't even notice the engine-start.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

thanks tons guys!

It didn't bother me, but I just wanted to know if it was an issue!

- Mark

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buying07TCH
thanks tons guys!

It didn't bother me, but I just wanted to know if it was an issue!

- Mark
I hope you buy the TCH and enjoy it! I love my 2007!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have never had it, but it sounds like nothing. Enjoy the car.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you're considering the purchase from a dealer and the car has warranty, I wouldn't get too worried. If it's a private party that has the car for sale, I would see if someone at the dealership can give it a once-over before you purchase.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My answer is that the hybrid starts off from 0 to 3/5 mph using the electric mode. Then the ice kicks in to help accelerate the car, thus the slight shudder. The electric motor has more torque than the 2.4 gas engine.

I found my '07 TCH was not as bad once it was broke in.