Voice Command and Climate Control System

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Voice Command and Climate Control System

I am surprised no one else has complained about this one.
Both the HV and non-HV Camry's if NAV equipped come with a little suppliment booklet describing the operation of the NAV and Voice Command system.
If you happen to look at the list of Voice Commands the list is identical to the Prius and includes Climate Control commands like "Auto On/Off", xx Degrees, etc. etc.
Well, guess what?
They are fake.
There is no Voice Command interface to the Climate Control system on the Camry.
The Prius does but not the Camry.
Don't feel too bad though.
The '07 Lexus RX350 has a similar/identical NAV and their documentation lists the same Voice Climate Control Commands and they too are non-functional.

A call to "Toyota in the Sky" and the Lexus equivalent resulted in both saying it is a documentation error and the feature is not supported.

Just an FYI.
I'd LOVE for someone to prove this observation as wrong.
I really miss not being able to demo the voice system by saying "Seventy Degrees" and having the system respond "Setting the temperature to seventy degrees".
J

Old 08-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Voice Command and Climate Control System

I have to wonder how difficult it would be to add those voice climate control options to the TCH.

Are they there and just not active or are they simiply not present at all. Can they be activated like the Nav override commands?

It WOULD be an extremely cool feature to be able to demo....although most of us already are probably giving demos that last 20-30 minutes.

If you don't feel like you could sell this car, then you have not been playing with it enough. (smiling)

Byron

Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

I noticed this, and brought it up back in June, no-one seemed too interested in it.(see climate control commands)
At least Toyota had the right answer for you, when I emailed them, they responded(after 2 weeks) that they worked just fine, and I only needed to speak the temperature that I wanted.
Toyota's response:
"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize; with the climate control on, operate the voice command control and say "72 (or other) degrees."

For further, we recommend you contact the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership."
So much for being "highly trained" and knowing the inner workings of the car
At least they finally realized their error. I guess this is to be expected for any new technology, hopefully I won't have to take it in for major service for awhile so they can get some experience with this model.
I agree, it would be nice if they had included it.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Both the HV and non-HV Camry's if NAV equipped come with a little suppliment booklet describing the operation of the NAV and Voice Command system.
Hmmmm, I never got or saw this book. I've been going nuts looking at help screens trying to figure out what commands are availabe. Anybody happen to know if this Booklet is available online anywhere?

Old 08-21-2006, 04:03 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I think it's a documentation error like Toyota said.
Look at the center console. The Climate Control system is a separate module now. With the Prius it was intergrated into the NAV display. There is no "Climate" button on the NAV head like there was on the Prius.
On the Lexus RX50 there is a separate button, there are climate displays in the NAV system, the voice commands just don't work. If I were a Lexus owner I would be more upset since it seems the commands would work but just aren't activated.
In the TCH I don't think there is any communication between the Climate Control system and the NAV head so Voice Commands will never happen with this design unless some subsequent engineering change is implemented. Just my opinion on that.
J

Old 08-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I think it's a documentation error like Toyota said.
I was wondering about the Voice Command Booklet you mentioned. I didn't get one and it's frustrating for me not knowing what commands are available.

I've tried searching online to see if it was available but couldn't find it anywhere. My cars only a week old so I guess I'll go back to the dealer and ask about it.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

It's not labeled as a Voice Command supplement.
It's a thin booklet and it supplements the NAV system.
The Voice Command list is on the inside back cover.
I got my car first week of July. I wonder if they are
still shipping the erroneous information? no information
at all? or a corrected booklet?
The NAV's internal help system does not list any
Climate Control commands.
J

Old 08-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LongTimer
I've tried searching online to see if it was available but couldn't find it anywhere.
Here's a guide for the Prius. It seems to be about the same for the Camry. Many of the commands can be shortened like "Golf" instead of "Golf Course".

Will Mayall

Attached Files
Old 08-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Does anyone actually use the Camry's Voice Command system and a regular basis?

For me it works "ok" when I am sitting still, the a/c fan off but if I am
driving or have the a/c fan on anything but a lower setting the
reliability of the Voice Response system is about zilch.

Simple commands like "Go Home" are interpreted as "Turning Restraunt Icons On".
Yikes?

I am speaking Mid-West American English which (for network news) is the standard variant of NA English.

I had the same issues with the Prius I was hoping the Camry was
better but (for me) it's not.

Curious how the Voice Command works for other Camry owners.

J

Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

Originally Posted by mayall
Here's a guide for the Prius. It seems to be about the same for the Camry. Many of the commands can be shortened like "Golf" instead of "Golf Course".

Will Mayall
Thanks for the PDF mayall.

For the life of me I do not understand why a list of all usable voice commands is not included in the NAV manual?

Quick Reply: Voice Command and Climate Control System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands