Watch out for this prior to your factory service

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Watch out for this prior to your factory service

I used trip odometer A to track my miles/tank. Resetting the service reminder on the MFD requires them to play with the trip odo reset switch while set to trip odometer A. My guess is that it's possible to reset it while not tampering with the trip odometer if done properly. However, when they were done changing my oil the trip odometer had been reset. So you may want to use trip odometer B for tracking mileage.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:14 AM
Olde Farte
Default Re: Watch out for this prior to your factory service

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I used trip odometer A to track my miles/tank. Resetting the service reminder on the MFD requires them to play with the trip odo reset switch while set to trip odometer A. My guess is that it's possible to reset it while not tampering with the trip odometer if done properly. However, when they were done changing my oil the trip odometer had been reset. So you may want to use trip odometer B for tracking mileage.
Per the owners manual, you must be in Trip A to perform the service reminder reset. A minor annoyance, IMHO.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by TCH2007
Per the owners manual, you must be in Trip A to perform the service reminder reset. A minor annoyance, IMHO.
Yes, I agree it's minor. But I'm also guessing that if done properly you won't be resetting Trip A. Anyhow I just wanted to point it out in case someone is using Trip A to monitor their tank mileage like I am for manually calculating fuel efficiency. Just switch to Trip B if that's the case.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Must reset TRIP A to reset oil service indicator. Rather annoying. Toyota builds a great car, but usability and ergonomics they are not real great with. My Acura Tl has very intuative MID for setting car options, liek power locks, and such and for resetting maintence minder. Toyota seems to bury thinsg and make you go to dealer to change car behavior.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 AM

LOL, this is exactly what happened to me, the service tech reset my TripA. Since I was almost done with the tank, I was ticked! Luckily, since I've recorded every single tank in my spreadsheet, I was able to use the total odometer mileage from the car and subtract out all my prevoius miles. And now when I fill up, not only do I record the TripA mileage, but I also record the total odo just in case.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by flopshot
LOL, this is exactly what happened to me, the service tech reset my TripA. Since I was almost done with the tank, I was ticked! Luckily, since I've recorded every single tank in my spreadsheet, I was able to use the total odometer mileage from the car and subtract out all my prevoius miles. And now when I fill up, not only do I record the TripA mileage, but I also record the total odo just in case.
To be on the safe side I made a mental note of my Trip A mileage while pulling into the service center. After getting my car back I noticed Trip A reset and then realized I should have made a note in pen and ink (when will I learn). However, I have the mileage in a spreadsheet, so I can figure it out within at least 1 mile of the actual total.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey TCH2007 how is the handling out there today? We are all wondering.
WillyBil

Old 10-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by WillyBill
Hey TCH2007 how is the handling out there today? We are all wondering.
WillyBil
We had a REAL wet snow - but not much of it. My wife drove the Camry to work and she said it was "fine - no problems". The real test is yet to come!!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is this only for the Nav model or for all ? I don't think that those of us without Nav have any service warnings...

Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Orcrone... Thanks for the heads up. i did notice in the manual the other day reset of trip A is required to reset the service reminder. I too am using A to record FE but plan to switch over to B before service is due.

If anyone is tracking their mileage on the database it has your last total miles recorded so all you would need is the current total mileage on the odometer at fill up then subtract the total mileage from the database.

Quick Reply: Watch out for this prior to your factory service

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands