Weird thing happened this morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Weird thing happened this morning

It gets very cold these days in my garage...about 30 degrees. I normally don't turn on the car and let it sit to heat up the engine and have no problems. But this morning, I turned on the car and immediately put the car from Park into Reverse. When I did that, there was an explosive sound and a bit of a rumble. It was VERY loud. The car didn't turn off or anything. I then put it back into Park and into Reverse again (no explosion this time). Has this happened to anyone else? Is it the cold?

Old 12-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Weird thing happened this morning

Did it sound like a back-fire? Where did the sound come from (front, back)?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

KimikoPi — There might have been some water that froze on the brakepads (or other moving part of the suspension) when you parked overnight in your cold garage. The "crack" sound might have been the ice breaking loose.

Stan

Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 PM

I do notice that sometimes it starts a little rough if I put it in gear at the exact moment it is starting the ICE. I not let it start the ICE, which is will almost always do, then put it in gear.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast

What SPL said! I washed ours yesterday and let it sit outside after I thought it dried. When bringing it into garage, samething. Bang before the disc released from the pads after it froze to the discs. No big deal. This car has been wongerful thus far. Getting around 35.5-36 even in the Minnesota winter. Rides like a dream. just did the first oil change myself (1,400 miles). Boy is that filter nice to access. So far so good.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Note that this is not unusual behavoiur specific to the TCH, by the way. I've experienced that in my last car as well.