HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2003 HCH-I A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2003 HCH-I A/C problems

Howdy, all.

I bought a used 2003 HCH two weeks ago today. My dad bought an '03 back when it was new, and I grew up driving it. His is at 250,000 miles on the original battery and doing fine, so I felt no qualms picking up a clean one with 142,000. It's a manual, so transmission issues shouldn't be a problem, and the IMA battery was replaced 25,000 miles ago. I should also mention that it was inspected and detailed by a local VW dealer, who had received it as a trade-in.

Unfortunately, less than a week after I picked it up, I heard a slight irregular rattle from the engine bay. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4l6I_lEDzUs) Long story short, it's coming from the A/C compressor. It sounds like bad bearings, but it's not very loud. Just noticeable to someone who knows what the usual clickety-clacks of the engine should sound like. When the compressor is engaged, the sound gets high-pitched and sort of vanishes.

The shop I took it to says that I need to replace the whole compressor. Two weeks and a $1500 repair bill? NO THANKS. I'm going to try to get the dealership to cover some of the repair bill, but I don't know if they'll help me out at all. They ought to, but who knows. If anything, I'd hope that they would at least install the compressor if I buy one and bring it in.

My questions are these:
1) How long do I have to drive before the compressor locks up on me and I blow the belt? I have a 600 mile trip this weekend that I have to take. The shop said I'd probably be fine for a while if I just don't turn on the A/C.
2) Can I bypass the compressor with the NAPA Micro-V AT 040395/Dayco #3290040 belts?
3) What can I reasonably ask the dealership to do? I bought the car as-is, of course, but this is a little much.

Otherwise, of course, the car's great. Way better than the Volvo wagon I was driving before this.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Default Re: 2003 HCH-I A/C problems

1) How long do I have to drive before the compressor locks up on me and I blow the belt? I have a 600 mile trip this weekend that I have to take. The shop said I'd probably be fine for a while if I just don't turn on the A/C.
The shop is probably right as the compressor doesn't turn until the AC is turned on and the compressor clutch engages. As long as the AC is off the compressor is stationary, and if the noise isn't too bad you will probably even be ok running the AC sparingly.

2) Can I bypass the compressor with the NAPA Micro-V AT 040395/Dayco #3290040 belts?
I don't know, but if the belt fits tightly around everything minus the compressor pulley I don't see why not.

3) What can I reasonably ask the dealership to do? I bought the car as-is, of course, but this is a little much.
I don't think it's unreasonable for an AC compressor to fail on a car with 142,00 miles. It wouldn't hurt to politely ask the dealership to help but I wouldn't think they would really be responsible. But who knows, if you're nice maybe you'll get lucky.

For what it's worth the compressor on my 2003 HCH also failed, but in a different way. In my case the clutch just wouldn't engage. That was 60,000 miles ago. I'm coming up on 255,000 miles and I still haven't done anything with it.

Best of luck...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrkcohen
The shop is probably right as the compressor doesn't turn until the AC is turned on and the compressor clutch engages. As long as the AC is off the compressor is stationary, and if the noise isn't too bad you will probably even be ok running the AC sparingly.
My only concern with that is the fact that I can hear the loose bearings when the compressor isn't engaged. That the sound goes away when the A/C is running baffles me. Though maybe I just can't hear it in all the gear noise of the compressor doing its thing.

At any rate, I'll see if I can pick up one of the shortened belts, throw it in my trunk with my socket set and an adjustable wrench, and just pull over and swap it in if I hear screeching from the belts. Besides, it's not really your car until you bloody your knuckles trying to wrench on it, right?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 AM

My only concern with that is the fact that I can hear the loose bearings when the compressor isn't engaged
I didn't realize the noise was present without the clutch engaged. I can understand your concern. I once had an idler pulley seize up on me (long time ago, not my HCH) and the belt smoked in a matter of seconds. I'm not sure what the serpentine belt turns on the Civic besides the AC but probably at least the water pump I would think.

Packing the belt and tools is a prudent choice.

Also for what it's worth, Majestic Honda has a refurb compressor for $352.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...2FC+COMPRESSOR

If you're going to change it anyway it might even pay to pull the thing first and see if you can even narrow it down to a specific part.

Good luck on the trip....

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

This will come too late to help the original poster, but might help someone else. I had the same symptom develop on my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid at 80,000 miles, namely a slight grinding noise coming from the engine compartment that got worse over time. Since the car is so quiet when idling, it's was fairly easy to hear early on. I hoped it was just a worn bearing, and continued to drive the car for several thousand more miles while I considered what to do about it. Dealership wanted thousands to replace everything that could be causing it.

During one particularly long (unavoidable) trip, the noise started getting louder and more intermittent. Finally, just as I made it back to the house, the engine accessory belt broke.
The AC pulley bearing had pretty much disintegrated, and the pulley inside face became the new bearing race, damaging it in the process. The clutch coil insulation appeared to be burned, probably from friction heat. Will likely need a new pulley, but now I understand what happened.

If you catch this early, you can save yourself some money and effort. The bearing can be found for under $40. Replacing it can be done without removing the AC compressor from the car by removing the front passenger-side wheel and a couple of the plastic retainers so the wheel well plastic at the front can be pushed out of the way. This gives just enough room to remove the clutch face, and after removing a snap ring (tricky), the pulley and bearing assembly. The bearing can be pressed out with care (see various youtube videos) and the new one pressed in. An experienced mechanic could do this whole job in an hour, so the total price should be $100-$200 to have a competent mechanic do it for you. If they aren't careful, they can damage the pulley, compressor, or both and cost you another thousand in repairs.

I tried the shortened bypass belt idea for now, and it seems to be working OK. The shortened belt just skips going around the AC compressor pulley, but is otherwise the same.
Part I used was a 39.5 inch 4 groove belt, specifically 'Drive Rite 398K4' from Advance Auto ($11). The belt tensioner ended up right in the middle, so the length was good.

I think every 2003-2005 Honda Civic Hybrid owner should consider carrying one of these short belts in case the AC compressor ever seizes, which would strand your car. You could put in the new belt on the side of the road if absolutely necessary.

Last edited by HCivHybrid2005; 01-25-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Enthusiast

My a/c unit failed a few months back. It failed to rotate the pulley causing the belt to burn and then snap. The a/c unit had to be replaced and it cost about $2000.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast

I can get a compressor online for $200 new. Think its a good idea to just replace it myself? I'll get it evac. and then put in the new one with other necessary replacement parts. Then I'll charge it up. cost about $400-500 total compared to having a mechanic at the dealership or shop do it.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2003 HCH. It has 120K miles on it. I replaced Hybrid battery 5 years ago. Now IMA light lights up. Engine stopped and car experts say I need a new AC compressor.

It will cost me $1100. Hope this investment will last me 1-2 years so I can still drive it without it breaking down. Any advise?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xukeith
I have a 2003 HCH. It has 120K miles on it. I replaced Hybrid battery 5 years ago. Now IMA light lights up. Engine stopped and car experts say I need a new AC compressor.

It will cost me $1100. Hope this investment will last me 1-2 years so I can still drive it without it breaking down. Any advise?
On an '03 I can't imagine a way the A/C is related to the IMA light. If it were a 2006+, then it certainly could be.

What do you mean the engine stopped? What codes are being reported?

If it turns out to be your compressor, I would never spend that much. Check with independent shops that might install a salvage yard unit for much less.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

I hope they are not related. In August I took my '03 HCH to the dealer and they estimated I needed a new IMA battery and 2 codes checked oxygen sensors updated for about $3800.(labor included).
I figured I would drive with the IMA ligh on and then off for a week. Then this past week, I came to a stop sign after having no problems driving all day except a weird sound in the engine(louder) and my car engine would not start. The tow man asked me to start the engine and he said right away "It is the belt". Then I towed it to my regular mechanic and they say it is the compressor as its belt was so extremely tight. They released tension and engine starts with no problem. So they recommend it needs a new compressor. Nothing to do with IMA battery.

Quick Reply: 2003 HCH-I A/C problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands