HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2005 HCH IMA and Check Engine Lights on

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 HCH IMA and Check Engine Lights on

Ok, apologies if I cover anything that has already been done but I want to be sure I have everything right.
I have a 2005 HCH at about 120k miles, CVT PZEV. When I was driving this morning I noticed that the IMA and Check Engine lights had come on. As far as I can tell the car isin't driving any differently, so much so that I didn't even notice until 30 minutes into my drive that the lights were even on.

Could be related: It rained for the first time in a while last night, and also my A/C isin't cold anymore its been that way for a couple months now I haven't asked anyone to look into it yet.

I'm not really a fan of either of the honda dealerships in my area so I'm asking for any tips on things to try and know before I take it in. I read that getting a readout from the OBD from autozone might be a good start, but is there anything before that? Would it make more sense just to get my own reader?
Also, I heard that the IMA might still be under warranty here in California? How would I go about getting that honored?

Appreciate any feedback and will post responses to questions as I can. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 HCH IMA and Check Engine Lights on

Does anyone know the details of the AH TSB: 00-070 JUN 09 Hybrid Systems - IMA Battery Warranty Exchange Program ?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

Update: I got into my car this morning and the IMA light was gone! The check engine light is still on so I am planning on taking it to get the OBD read, but welcome any other tips in the meantime.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

I would highly recommend you get it into the dealer ASAP and try to initiate a Warranty exchange. I would say the IMA light would have to be illuminated though and it throwing a code that suggests the IMA battery module be replaced. There are several that lead them to that result like P1433 for example.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Jeroman,
I wanted to ask if you had any more updates on your car. My 2005 HCH has been exhibiting the same issues as yours. About three weeks ago, the Check Engine and IMA lights came on while I was driving, and stayed on for a few days after I tightened the gas cap as per instructions in manual. We were in the middle of a serious heat wave, so I wondered if that was related. A few days after both lights came on, the IMA light went out. I took the car to a mechanic who checked the codes for free; he told me that it wasn't clear that there was anything wrong because the codes were intermittent and one seemed to be triggering the other. So he cleared them, and said if something was actually wrong the lights would return in a few days. Which they did, about a week and a half ago. Again, like last time, the IMA light turned off a few days after it came on. So I've been driving around, with no noticeable change in the performance of the car, with the Check Engine Light on. I've been putting off going to the dealer even though the repair will (hopefully) fall under the warranty here in CA, because I'm weary of them charging me for a diagnostic check--and I just don't trust those guys to not try and oversell to me. I might just march in there this weekend and say that I think there is an issue with the hybrid battery, since that seems to be the most common problem for people with similar lighting indicators. Let me know if you've dealt with the dealer already!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Enthusiast

Babs,

If the light comes back on, you can take it to Autozone or Advanced Auto and they will read the error codes for you. Then you can determine for yourself what the issue is without having to pay a diagnositic fee to the dealer. There are multiple codes that are related to the IMA battery. None of them are really good news.

Mike

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Hi
I have an 05 hch, 127k
Check engine light came on recently. Autozone read the codes as two 02 sensors plus a cat conv.
I found a service bulletin from Honda on line, went to dealer and asked them to give me a software update for the 05.
The problem went away. They wanted to replace the parts.
If you have not gotten the update, consider doing so. The computer may be misreading data and generating the codes.
gkg