HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2005 Honda Civic with a dead Battery Pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 Honda Civic with a dead Battery Pack

Hey so I'm a new member with a major automotive problem.

Basically I own a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with about 74K miles on it. I bought it used last year and now the battery pack needs replacement. I'm a college student so finances are a little tight and the shop I took it to said a new battery would cost about 2350. I'm pretty much a moron at automotive affairs and need some advice about what to do. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Honda Civic with a dead Battery Pack

Speak to Matt at hybrid revolt he can help you.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Honda said it was off warranty and that any financial consideration they might be willing to do would entail me getting it to an actual Honda dealership and paying for another diagnostic. It's not running so I'd have to pay to get it towed. Is it worth it to do so?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your battery may not be defective, but it would take some work to reset it. The issue is that NiMH batteries need a couple full 'cycles' occasionally to reset the battery.

This entails using light bulbs to drain it fully (down to about 50 volts), and then charge it to 100% (and hold it there for a few hours), then repeat.

I do this every 8-10 months, and the battery starts working like brand new again and the car rides great.

Unfortunately you would need a grid charger or power supply capable of the voltages, and electrical training and safety measures. Many of us have bit the bullet and learned how to do it, but its not for everyone.

Also, there is no guarantee this will work if you have a really bad cell in your pack. However, I have two batteries and both of them are able to be reset and they work great.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

when you say the car is not running, what exactly do you mean? These cars can run without the battery but they will give you the IMA warning and engine lights. If you can't drive the car, its possible you have other issues

Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hunter44102
when you say the car is not running, what exactly do you mean? These cars can run without the battery but they will give you the IMA warning and engine lights. If you can't drive the car, its possible you have other issues
It won't start on its own and when I turn the key it's dead a doorknob. When jumped it works perfectly fine.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well it sounds like your 12V battery isn't working then if a jump fixes it. I would get that replaced first, then worry about the bigger 150V IMA battery.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

Any more details on this depleting and recharging method?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gettinscurvy
Any more details on this depleting and recharging method?
The grid charging has been documented in many forums on the web (you can do a google search). I think it started on the Honda Insight forums. The discharging is something I added to the technique because it seemed to improve the battery tremendously compared to just grid charging. (along with many NiMH battery guides that recommend full cycling to restore a battery).

The first thing is knowing how to remove your battery. The service manual documents this and I'm sure there are youtube videos.

The next thing is acquiring a 'grid charger' or 'Bio-rad' power supply that can generate a voltage to charge the battery. To discharge you just need ordinary household light bulbs and sockets with wires attached that you can clip to the battery. you also need a voltmeter

I will try to post some instructions that I created for the HCH-II. The idea would be the same for the HCH-I but its a lower voltage and probably different procedure to remove/install the battery.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

Make sure you have exhausted all your options with Honda corporation first....http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/inde...t_file&id=1633

Quick Reply: 2005 Honda Civic with a dead Battery Pack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands