HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Acceleration and brake noise- just bought a used HCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Enthusiast
Question Acceleration and brake noise- just bought a used HCH

I just bought a certified used 2004 HCH 52,000 miles automatic CVT transmission. After driving it a few days I have some concerns that have been keeping me up at night wondering if I made a bad purchase.

1. Acceleration- I hear about a one to two second low frequency vibration noise when I start from a stop. I'd say it seems more like a sound than a feeling of a shudder. It happens when driving straight and also when turning. At first I thought it could be the tire rubbing on the wheel well or something since I think this car was in a minor accident from the front, but it sounds more mechanical than that. My husband said it sounds a little bit like a manual transmision when you are shifting that first gear, but very low frequency. After reading the threads on this forum I wonder if it is the start clutch problem or an EGR problem. Maybe just transmission fluid? How do I know?

2. Braking- Braking at slow speeds is no problem. When braking to a stop from around 50 mph (not on a dime, but as if to turn or come to a stop sign) I feel a pulsing or "bum-bum-bum-bum" about until I stop. I have never had ABS before, so is that a normal noise/feeling? Is this a typical noise from the different type of braking system/recharging on the HCH? I guess I wonder if it is warped rotors or some other brake problem. I think the brake pads were replaced in December 2007 (it's March 2009 right now, so they are a little over a year old)

I was going to go armed to the dealer with the threads here on the start clutch and the EGR and the CVR fluid to see if they will change any of those for free. Since I'm buying it used, I guess I have no idea if the fluid was changed at 30,000 miles as recommended. I do believe this car had regular maintenence because was an I-Go car sharing car (of course the dealership won't admit to this- not sure why).

I have to bring it back this week for them to replace a few things they had on order, so I thought I could have them fix these problems (if they really are problems?) at that time.

So I guess my question is are these normal noises or things I should be concerned about? Do all HCH CVT transmissions make those noises when starting from a stop or should it be completely silent? Any typical noises when you brake?

Thank you! I love this forum already. And driving the HCH is so much fun, I don't know how I would ever go back to a car without a MPG computer!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Acceleration and brake noise- just bought a used HCH

Welcome prairieclover.

It's hard to say without being able to hear the noise in person or feel what you feel when braking, but if I had to make a guess...

In number 1) Acceleration. What you describe kind of sounds a bit like what I was hearing recently upon acceleration. See the thread about the start clutch that Steve wrote about. It's kind of a low grumble sound. Sometimes it can be alleviated with a multiple transmission fluid change. That's what my dealer did, and the grumble went away. Other folks have had the warranty service done for the start clutch. It should be covered under your warranty if you need it done, since you said you bought a certified used car. (My dealer covered the cost of the fluid changes I mentioned above, and told me if the noise recurs to come back for the start clutch service, which they said they would cover the cost of.)

In number 2) Braking. When I first got my used '04, it was the first time I had ever experienced either anti-lock brakes or the regenerative braking of a hybrid. I think what you are feeling is normal. I remember a few times when I had to brake from a higher speed, or when going down a steep hill at a good clip, I would feel something similar. After driving more with the car, and having less of a tendency to drive fast, I rarely notice anything unusual. Either I changed my driving habits over time, or I just got used to how the ABS and regenerative braking feel.

Good luck with your car.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 03-23-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Energy Independence

Keep in mind, that under normal (non-emergency braking) circumstances, you should NEVER know what ABS-induced braking feels like. It's a pulsing, unnerving thing that works magically, but you shoudl NOT be experiencing it in normal driving. If you are, something's wrong - and you should get it fixed.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Think green.

To be on the safe side, when you bring the car in to get the ordered items replaced, have them check out your concerns with the acceleration noise and the brakes pulsing. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast

Just an update.

I brought the car in and took a ride with one of the hybrid technicians at the dealership to point out the noises. As soon as I mentioned the vibration noise on acceleration, he said "probably the start clutch." And it was and they replaced it. He said it is a common problem and when they replace it, it is an updated part and should fix the problem. I still notice a tiny bit of noise, but maybe that's normal. Hopefully it won't get louder.

The technician noted the braking noise I was hearing came from the rear brakes. It turns out there were some spots on the rear rotors, so they machined them. They said the spots on the rear brakes never work themselves out, front brakes sometimes do. I still notice a little bit of noise, but it's better. Some of it is probably just the regenerative braking.

They did so much work on the car that sales nixed paying for any additional work.. like completely fixing the dome light that doesn't work, until the certified warranty is in effect. I guess it can take up to 30 days for the certified warranty to process. So now I have to bring it back again, not happy about that- they are not that close to home. They fixed the switch in the door to make the dome light go on when the key is in the ignition, but there is some electrical issue preventing the light from going on with the key out of the ignition. I suspect this might have something to do with it being an I-Go car sharing car- I think they do something to the dome lights so people can't accidentally leave them on.

I would have to say they were pretty responsive to my complaints. I really liked the service guy and the technician. I'm glad I went directly to service to discuss my issues and not to sales. I feel like sales might have tried to blow off some of my complaints. Service documented all my concerns and got just about everything taken care of. I just don't know why they couldn't fix the dang dome light fer chrissakes. The car was there for 5 days while they fixed this stuff- this is obviously something that should have been taken care of BEFORE I bought it. Now *I* have to bring the car back which is a pain because we only have one car in this household.

When I bring it in the next time I am going to make sure they changed the fluids marked on the 150 point inspection sheet (coolant, brakes, etc). It took a week of begging for me to get the 150 point inspection sheet which made me believe it was never done or it didn't exist. I don't want my engine to bust up into pieces on the road like that guy that just posted!