HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Braking makes funny noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Braking makes funny noise

Hi everyone,

I have 2003 honda civic hybrid with a CVT tranny.

When I brake, the front left side of my car makes a funny noise. I jacked up the car to check the brake pad and there's plenty of brake pad. It started only this summer. It makes the "clock clok gnat gnat" noise only when I press lightly on the brakes. When I stomp strongly on the brake it doesn't make any noise. I think it all started when my mecanic change the engine oil with a 5-30 weight oil. He told me that he doesn't have 0-20. He said oil is oil, it will not harm any motor, beside he put synthetic oil in it.

The noise is really obvious when I going down on a steep road and i'm brake gently to control the speed.

Someone had the same problem? could it be the engine oil?

I'm very afraid it's the cvt transmission or the engine that's broken.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Braking makes funny noise

i heard the hch makes farting noises sometimes if you apply the breaks, did it fart? lol

Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know what noise it is. I think it's the break that does that noise, but not sure. I checked the pad and they are good.

It never happened to when you break?

Beside that stupid noise, I'm very happy with the car, in summer I'm averaging 56-57 mpg.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Throw a new rotor on it or take the rotor to a shop like Carquest and have them machine it.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

FanFaron,

When I first purchased my 2003 Civic Hybrid in Jan 2007, I noticed a strange noise with my brakes at times. I live near Philadelphia, PA and in January it is cold, often times with snow on the ground.

An odd sound, something like "ping, ping, ping, ping" occured when I braked in snowy conditions, the brakes locked up, but the wheel kept moving forward. This sound also happened when I had a similiar instance in the rain in April.

This brakes of these cars do not liked being locked up while the wheel continues to move forward. To this date, my car has had fine braking performance with exceptional gas mileage, so I can say that at times my brakes have made an odd noise but it has not done anything bad to it as a result.

Hope this helps !

CH103

Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, Thanks for the tips, good to know that the cars runs fine.

thank you