HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Burning Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Burning Oil?

I had my oil changed today and the mechanic noted that only a quart or so came out when he drained the oil. After checking a couple things he found black residue on the inside of the exhaust pipe and informed me that I'm burning oil. It sounds like a logical diagnosis to me but I can't find any information on Honda Hybrid's burning oil. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be something else?

Complete details:
  • 2003 Civic Hybrid with aprox. 160,000 miles.
  • Oil light came on briefly when idling at stoplights (my trigger to take it in ASAP)
  • Oil changed at aprox. 5,000 miles.
  • Last oil change done by Jiffy Lube using Penzoil (Not impressed at all).
  • No oil drips noticed in the driveway as you'd expect when leaking oil
  • No visible exhaust noticed in rear view mirror as you'd expect when burning oil.
  • Mechanic estimated only 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of oil drained out.
  • Black soot present when he checked inside the exhaust pipe with his finger.
  • Engine light is on throwing the code for the Catalytic Converter which I was assured isn't a high priority fix and probably the O2 sensor.
  • Mileage is averaging 42 mpg.
  • No noticeable signs that the vehicle is malfunctioning. (with the exception of the oil light which started everything)

Last edited by thehowes; 08-15-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added model and mileage.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Burning Oil?

I've decided I would never go to Jiffy Lube again. My last car kind of went downhill after using Jiffy Lube for its regular oil changes.
Maybe they never added the proper amount of oil to your car, and I bet they did not use the proper oil designated for the car.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had a less than positive experience when your visited one of the Jiffy Lube service centers. We would like to know more about this experience. Please contact us at jiffy-lube-customer-service@shell.com. Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
I've decided I would never go to Jiffy Lube again. My last car kind of went downhill after using Jiffy Lube for its regular oil changes.
Maybe they never added the proper amount of oil to your car, and I bet they did not use the proper oil designated for the car.
those quicky oil change places are the worst.
if you ever saw the shoddy work claims against them you'd never take your car there.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

My car is now doing this as well. 2004 Manual w/100218 on the ODO, purchased w/86k on ODO. I do my own oil changes since I got the car only a year ago. 0w-20 always. Suspect oil in car when bought was wrong, though. I got the malfunction indicator light day before yesterday (second time this has happened to me, last time I pulled the code for Oil pressure). First thing I checked was the oil. Nothing on the dipstick. Went ahead and changed it since it was due (5k changes here). About 1 quart came out and it was really really dirty. No signs of leaking in garage, on plastic piece under oil pan, or on engine area in general. Haven't really checked for smoke.

Suggestions when I stopped past the dealer...

Honda's standard for burning oil is 1 quart/1,500 miles. If it burns more than that it is definitely a major internal problem ($$$). He suggested I check my oil often and note my mileage and how much I put in if I have to. If it is more than standard, it definitely needs to be brought in. If it is puffing blue smoke after sitting (check in the morning, he suggested) then it is also internal, but probably just a gasket or something less major. He suggested I come in for an inspection where they can clean the engine to see if any oil gets added via leakage.

But, for now I have a note going in my phone so I can keep track. Since I've only had the car a year and have already replaced the battery, I'm hoping it isn't major, but fear it may be. Vacation is coming up and that will be the true test. Driving over 1k miles one way. He suggested I carry 4 quarts with me just in case lol.