HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Marketing hype?

You're going to pay more for a Honda branded battery with older, lower rated, lower capacity cells in it.

Battery technology has come a long way in the last 5 years.

Sam
Ex 2000 Insight owner.
Current 2004 HCH owner.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

2004 HCH CVT original battery full on failed with the IMA light at 61K (bought it with 60K!!). Went to the dealership to deal with the Cat Converter BS and was told that yet again my IMA was "degrading" (code P0A80) and that it would need to be replaced again. It has been less than 2 years and 35K since the original was replaced. BTW the warranty was only honored up the the original 80K so yeah, this is probably the worst vehicle ever manufactured by Honda.

I run the AC in the summer.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I have a 2003 HCH manual. Close to 250,000 miles. The IMA battery was replaced about 60,000 miles ago by the previous owner and an independent mechanic. So I purchased it in May of this year and it has been great. Though I've dropped from 42 mpg to 38. IMA seems to charge fully and drop almost fully and the charge up all the way again. No IMA light or MIL/Engine light. But here is the problem! There are no IMA or MIL lights. Key in ignition at position 2 no engine light by the oil light under rpm, the outline is there but it does not light up. Same with the IMA light. I can not find anything about these two not lighting up anywhere. In the owners manual both are supposed to light up in this position. So I failed emission testing in MD today. Ironic that a hybrid Low emission vehicle, hybrid or not fails and emissions test. Codes were P1600, P1456, P1449. P1456 = gas cap, got one no more code after all cleared. However the P1600 and P1449 are still there. No lights period but codes and MIL should be lighting up as it is indicating it should be on my Craftsman Scan Tool 20890. Any ideas from anyone? I am leaning towards a fuse or relay. I was thinking it was the blue 12v relay in the secondary fuse box in the engine compartment, the picture on the cover is the same as the engine light that should be lighting up, after talking with Honda what I have in there is not the part number they have but the relay should be for the fuel pump how this coincides with the picture on the cover I'm not sure. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Update

So the check engine light is solved, old school used car dealer trick, electrical tape over the led inside speedometer. I have a check engine light, no IMA light, codes P1600, P1499 no flash code for IMA plus IMA does not light up in ignition position 2. Owners manual says it sometimes lights up in position 2. I have a flash code of EPS 23. Where should I go from here prior to dealership? Any help would be great... Thanks

Considering changing 12v battery as date is 10/07 on it.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Turns out there was electrical tape over check engine as well as IMA light. I have a Code P1449-78, MIL/CEL is blinking 69 and EPS is blinking 23. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Failed IMA Battery Owners!-photo-4.jpg   Failed IMA Battery Owners!-photo-5.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nmplains
Turns out there was electrical tape over check engine as well as IMA light. I have a Code P1449-78, MIL/CEL is blinking 69 and EPS is blinking 23. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Electric tape or not, the car will still fail on an OBD-II car since they plug in the scanner to do a test. Also, at least here in VA, the light has to come on when the key is ON but the engine isn't running, then go off when the engine is running.

You have multiple problems, I suggest getting a FSM and diagnosing each one. then see if the failure points share anything in common.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

05 hch going strong at 165000
Always use ac when hot or humid.
Park in shade and crack windows to keep cool.
Drive to minimize elec assist

Averaging 45 to 46.5 using non ethanol fuel and 40 lbs air pressure

Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I have a 2004 gen1 civic that has slightly over 200k miles and has been taken to the dealer, diagnosed as a 1433 IMA code and estimate given for the replacement of the battery ($3200)

Since the car is only worth $1850 in fair condition, I decided that I would consider my options...

I alternately, thought that
- I would just replace the battery pack with a new one... I got two prices from dealers online and my low number was $2200 + shipping $450. Two week lead time...

-Or go the route of purchasing a salvaged module (controller, battery, and computer management system - $1100) BTW most salvage yards don't just have these. You should consider a larger salvage yard or a parts locator service. $$$???

I researched the removal / install online and found a video on YouTube
(video is available on YouTube for this)
I searched keywords

2004 civic hybrid battery IMA problem

I spent an afternoon removing the old module and replacing the newly salvaged one - 5.5 hrs. The job can be handled with mid level handyman skills with a strong emphasis on electrical safety.

In removing the IMA battery I must disconnect the 12v battery to disconnect the power supply to the car / battery module; the IMA light was off when I restarted the car...

My wife drove the car for three days after this job with no problems. She noticed the drive system had more power than it had in awhile. She also noticed that the battery charge was fluctuating between high and low charge readings.

I had the car inspected for emissions in PA and it failed. Mechanic says it's still reading an IMA code.

Still undaunted, I have considered the 12v battery for the engine. I had it checked at AutoZone for free and the battery was bad. I replaced it with a two year (better) battery - $90 and drove it for 50 miles and the IMA light was back on.

I then drove for an additional 85 miles the next day hoping the light goes out with more coding being sent to the car...

I am now faced with driving an un-inspected fuel efficient car (40.3 mpg) that wouldn't pass a Pa State inspection station test...

This is a lot to digest but I hope with this info it could help others with the same problem
=MPH

Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I have a 2004 gen1 civic that has slightly over 200k miles and has been taken to the dealer, diagnosed as a 1433 IMA code and estimate given for the replacement of the battery ($3200)

-The car is automatic CVT
-The car does use A/C frequently

Since the car is only worth $1850 in fair condition, I decided that I would consider my options...

- I would just replace the battery pack with a new one... I got two prices from dealers online and my low number was $2200 + shipping $450. Two week lead time...

-Or go the route of purchasing a salvaged module (controller, battery, and computer management system - $1100) BTW most salvage yards don't just have these. You should consider a larger salvage yard or a parts locator service. $$$???

I searched keywords

I spent an afternoon removing the old module and replacing the newly salvaged one - 5.5 hrs. The job can be handled with mid level handyman skills with a strong emphasis on electrical safety.

In removing the IMA battery I must disconnect the 12v battery to disconnect the power supply to the car / battery module; the IMA light was off when I restarted the car...

My wife drove the car for three days after this job with no problems. She noticed the drive system had more power than it had in awhile. She also noticed that the battery charge was fluctuating between high and low charge readings.

I had the car inspected for emissions in PA and it failed. Mechanic says it's still reading an IMA code.

Still undaunted, I have considered the 12v battery for the engine. I had it checked at AutoZone for free and the battery was bad. I replaced it with a two year (better) battery - $90 and drove it for 50 miles and the IMA light was back on.

I then drove for an additional 85 miles the next day hoping the light goes out with more coding being sent to the car...

I am now faced with driving an un-inspected fuel efficient car (40.3 mpg) that wouldn't pass a Pa State inspection station test...

This is a lot to digest but I hope with this info it could help others with the same problem
=MPH

Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I have a 2004 gen1 civic CVT that has slightly over 200k miles and has been taken to the dealer, diagnosed as a 1433 IMA code and estimate given for the replacement of the battery ($3200)

The car does use the A/C frequently

I searched keywords

=MPH

Quick Reply: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands