HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Future 04 HCH-I Owner Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Future 04 HCH-I Owner Q's

Hey everyone, so I'm interested in a 5 speed HCH-I and I'm trying to do research to find out if there's anything I should know before purchasing one? What to look for, etc? I know some need the IMA batteries replaced but is it possible for the seller to reset the cel or any codes by unplugging the battery? I know doing so would only be temporary, but how would I be able to know and check without having to drive the car 50+ miles before the cel comes back?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Future 04 HCH-I Owner Q's

Originally Posted by Garrett Goerl
Hey everyone, so I'm interested in a 5 speed HCH-I and I'm trying to do research to find out if there's anything I should know before purchasing one? What to look for, etc? I know some need the IMA batteries replaced but is it possible for the seller to reset the cel or any codes by unplugging the battery? I know doing so would only be temporary, but how would I be able to know and check without having to drive the car 50+ miles before the cel comes back?
I'm reading this as "both the CEL and the IMA are on". If that is the case, open the hood, pull fuse 9, wait a minute, then plug it back in. Do not forget to snap the fuse cover back in place! This will reset everything, including the state of charge. On the next start the CEL and IMA lights will be out and the SOC will show zero bars.

If the IMA is really bad the IMA will come back on immediately. If you drive it around for 10 minutes or so and it has still not lit then you are in the "bad but not quite as bad" realm. Another bad sign is if while driving it it does not start charging the IMA battery. When it gets to that point the car is a pain to drive because the red battery (12V) light will come on every time you stop. In any case, if you see the IMA light on it means you should expect to replace the IMA battery. You could possibly, maybe, delay things a while by grid charging. Honestly, I'm not sure it is worth the bother.

If you do replace the battery do NOT get it from Honda. You can replace it yourself with fairly common tools. There are write ups on the battery vendors' sites. Unless you are very strong have somebody help you at the stage the battery physically goes in and out. Holding the battery up with one hand while unbolting it with the other is not something most people are going to want to do.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not "some".

All of them.

If the IMA/CEL light is on, it's done. If it hasn't been replaced recently, it will need to be replaced soon.

You might be able to nurse it along with a grid charger, but you should plan to replace it with a remanufactured pack (New Chinese sticks). I recommend Bumblebee Batteries.

Do not consider reconditioned packs. They have a 90 day warranty for a reason. For those that offer longer warranties, it's unlikely they'll be around to honor it, or they will have to honor it 2-3 times before the warranty is out, and you'll suffer a lot of inconvenience.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:38 AM
Enthusiast

No, I think there was a misunderstanding, I never stated that they are/were on. I was stating a possible scenario if the cel or ima were on is it possible for them to be reset by a simple disconnect of the battery? I ask this because I am going to look at a car and want to make sure that the seller is being honest by not doing such a thing and not being able to find out until after purchasing. But in addition, what should I look at when checking out the car? Is there some sort of guide or list of things to look for?

I also said "some" because some haven't been replaced yet while others have been. What would be a reasonable price for one? Granted it's a 5 speed and white which is a rare combo and the IMA battery needs to be replaced? is 3k overpriced?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I ask this because I am going to look at a car and want to make sure that the seller is being honest by not doing such a thing and not being able to find out until after purchasing. But in addition, what should I look at when checking out the car? Is there some sort of guide or list of things to look for?
It is trivial to reset with the fuse pull. However, if the battery is in bad shape it will usually set the CEL/IMA again very quickly, so the seller of such a car most likely wouldn't bother.

The two weakest parts in this car are the IMA battery and the CVT transmission. Other than that it has a reliability profile similar to that of a normal Civic of the same year. Inspect it like you would for any other car. If the CEL is not on keep an eye on the SOC and see if it does any recals, that is, dropping to 0 and then rapidly charging back up again. Not a good sign if that happens. You probably wouldn't see one on a short test drive unless the IMA was close to failing.

I also said "some" because some haven't been replaced yet while others have been. What would be a reasonable price for one? Granted it's a 5 speed and white which is a rare combo and the IMA battery needs to be replaced? is 3k overpriced?
There is just no way that a 2003-2005 IMA has not been replaced, or does not desperately need replacement. Most cars of that era are on their 3rd or even 4th battery. I wouldn't offer much more than scrap yard prices for an HCH I with a CVT, I might go to 2K for a 5 speed, but only after sternly asking myself why I wasn't looking at a Prius instead. (Reason I didn't get a Prius, I hate the invisible from the driver's seat hood. Hard for me to park in that with slight depth perception problems and no visible reference for the location of the front of the car.) Also be aware that the HCH I back seat does not fold down, so it is impossible, or at least awkward, to carry anything long in the car. IThe HCH I for me has been neither reliable nor cheap, with 1 CVT repair and 2 IMA replacements. In all I have spent nearly as much on major repairs as I did to buy the car, which has not been true for any other vehicle I have ever owned (in 40 years).

Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 AM

An HCH with a bad IMA battery is a $1000 car. Maybe $1500 if it's immaculate.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:20 PM

Get a code reader and see if the car shows DTC ready. If it is, you can be sure the cel/IMA lights have been off for 50+ miles. A battery that works for 50 miles and doesn't trigger a recalibration on an extended test drive is at least in a condition where grid charging can be effective.

No guarantees, but it's better than nothing.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
It is trivial to reset with the fuse pull. However, if the battery is in bad shape it will usually set the CEL/IMA again very quickly, so the seller of such a car most likely wouldn't bother.

The two weakest parts in this car are the IMA battery and the CVT transmission. Other than that it has a reliability profile similar to that of a normal Civic of the same year. Inspect it like you would for any other car. If the CEL is not on keep an eye on the SOC and see if it does any recals, that is, dropping to 0 and then rapidly charging back up again. Not a good sign if that happens. You probably wouldn't see one on a short test drive unless the IMA was close to failing.

There is just no way that a 2003-2005 IMA has not been replaced, or does not desperately need replacement. Most cars of that era are on their 3rd or even 4th battery. I wouldn't offer much more than scrap yard prices for an HCH I with a CVT, I might go to 2K for a 5 speed, but only after sternly asking myself why I wasn't looking at a Prius instead. (Reason I didn't get a Prius, I hate the invisible from the driver's seat hood. Hard for me to park in that with slight depth perception problems and no visible reference for the location of the front of the car.) Also be aware that the HCH I back seat does not fold down, so it is impossible, or at least awkward, to carry anything long in the car. IThe HCH I for me has been neither reliable nor cheap, with 1 CVT repair and 2 IMA replacements. In all I have spent nearly as much on major repairs as I did to buy the car, which has not been true for any other vehicle I have ever owned (in 40 years).
Well because it's so cheap, I'm not trying to buy a new car, and I don't have to worry about the tranny as it's a 5 speed. I'm not trying to spend more by buying a prius. So I just have to worry about the IMA replacements. How far in-between IMA replacements did you go? Sounds like it may have been only you that had an isolated issue. I've been told that with grid charger and regular use that the replaced IMA depending on who you buy from should last 5 years.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

Also, where is everyone getting their prices from? I know what KBB lists the car at but the market for these cars in southern california doesn't typically follow KBB prices.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

What is the climate like where you are? Batteries do not like heat. You mentioned Southern California, if that is where you are located, and you are near the coast the IMA battery should last much longer than it would if you lived farther inland. I suspect that in Palm Springs and other brutally hot desert locations the IMA batteries are toast in very short order.