HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Grinding noise from CVT

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Grinding noise from CVT

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
Depends where you live. The IMA light is on, and therefore so is the CEL. I cannot sell the car to another individual unless it passes smog, and by definition in CA these days, if the CEL is on for any reason, it does not pass. So to sell it I would need to replace the IMA battery, which for any sort of a reliable unit (Bumblebee), is going to cost at least as much as the car is worth.

Right now I'm just driving it until the IMA finally completely gives up the ghost, or I guess until I am forced to smog check it, which it cannot pass.

Somebody nearby needs to loan their battery to this fella so he can pass inspection

I got two of these cars and I must agree, they are really lemons

Old 02-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ouch.

Another reason i hate California.

Steve

Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Another reason i hate California.
It is an extreme example of bureaucracy gone awry. If they actually measured the emissions on the car it would pass, there isn't anything wrong with the cats or motor. There is currently no standard for CO2 emission, and that is the only thing that goes up when the battery starts failing. Well, I guess the cumulative emissions for any gas measured would go up too, but only into the range of a normal car.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's not the bit I was talking about. That's simple standards. Car was certified to meet X emissions, and now it doesn't. That's why it fails. The IMA system is 100% an emissions system. e.g., It doesn't matter that it's only getting 38mpg, it should get 43mpg. That's fed law, not state, and I have to deal with that here in AZ as well. Emissions every two years and if the CEL is on for any reason, fail. That's very common across the country.

The asinine bit is the loss of ability to sell a car. It shouldn't be a buyer/seller issue, it should be an owner issue. If you're going to register a vehicle, then it needs to pass emissions. It shouldn't affect trade.

Here in AZ, we can simply sell the car. It is then the new owner's obligation to get the car through emissions if they wish to title and register it. If it's a dealer, they have to disclose that it does not meet emissions, and the car is being sold for "parts."