HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 169K miles. just recently the chrg/asst stopped working, the IMA light is on, the red battery light comes on whenever I brake or periodically while driving, this indicates that the chrg/asst is not working properly. I am still able to use the car (does anyone know how long that lasts?) Oddly enough, I only average about five miles less a gallon than I did when it worked just fine. The battery indicater shows that the battery is fully charged, but it doesn't ever lose its charge and once again there are no green bars in my chrg/asst. Anyone else have any issues like this?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Default Re: How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

I've never seen that. One thing you should keep in mind is that the charging system for the 12V relies on the hybrid system. Make sure that 12V is staying charged.

Maybe the heat is causing it to act up. Any other details?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I've never seen that. One thing you should keep in mind is that the charging system for the 12V relies on the hybrid system. Make sure that 12V is staying charged.

Maybe the heat is causing it to act up. Any other details?

I don't really have any other details, it just started this past weekend. Other than what I've already said, it drives just fine. I guess I have to break down and go see the dealer, but I really can't afford to do that right now. Kind of worries me a little bit.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
rkr
Enthusiast

Did you ever find out what happened? If it was the IMA light AND the engine malfunction light (reminds me of a genie lamp), then probably means battery has gone bad. The dealer let me drive it around for a few weeks no problem while they waited for the replacement batt to come in. Mileage was down a bit and occasionally the battery level would do wonky things (liek go from full to empty while I was driving down hill).

Old 08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hellbent
I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 169K miles. just recently the chrg/asst stopped working, the IMA light is on, the red battery light comes on whenever I brake or periodically while driving, this indicates that the chrg/asst is not working properly. I am still able to use the car (does anyone know how long that lasts?) Oddly enough, I only average about five miles less a gallon than I did when it worked just fine. The battery indicater shows that the battery is fully charged, but it doesn't ever lose its charge and once again there are no green bars in my chrg/asst. Anyone else have any issues like this?
Thumbnail: you are limited to the strength of your 12-volt battery.

Longer explaination: The IMA is your generator for both the 12-volt and hybrid battery pack. When the IMA fails, it's essentially the same as a conventional car when the alternator goes out. This means your 12-volt battery will need to hold a charge for your daily driving, then it will need to be charged overnight. This would rule out long drives.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM

I don't know that this is true Delta Flyer. I think the batteries can be bad (though not completely dead), and the 12v will still charge. It may even only need the dc/dc converter working. It is a good question for Mike D. I think I'll go ask it on the cleanmpg forums in the tech section.

Last edited by tbaleno; 08-08-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Tom, I should have said my previous post was per Mike Dabrowski. I drove about 25 or so miles without the IMA - not enough to test the no IMA - no alternator assertion. The ride was normal except of course a substantial degrade of the acceleration.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast

I've been driving this way for well over a month now. Acceleration is the only noticable difference, odd to me how the gas milage is so close to the same it's not even an issue. I use to get 39-40 mpg. now I get 37-38 mpg. Just have to be careful and not take chances when turning left. no 12v nattery issues yet! (fingers crossed)

Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 AM

hellbent, hav eyou gone to the honda dealership to have your car looked at? They might fix it for a reasonable price even if it is out of warranty. Honda has been good at replacing the battery pack when it is out of warranty and not charging the owner much out of their pocket.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
hellbent, hav eyou gone to the honda dealership to have your car looked at? They might fix it for a reasonable price even if it is out of warranty. Honda has been good at replacing the battery pack when it is out of warranty and not charging the owner much out of their pocket.
I have, it would cost about 6,000 dollars. They say I need a new battery and a new MPA, I think that is what they said. I have the paperwork somewhere on what all they said I need, I just recall them saying I need $6000 worth of repairs, which is about what the car is worth anyhow, time to trade in I'm afraid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands