HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA Battery Needs Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Needs Replaced

Is your 03 Hybrid an automatic (CVT) or manual?

I think that the manual transmission was discontinued because the IMA battery packs wear out faster (in many cases) than the CVT hybrids.

Rick

Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
For $4000.00 what do you get? Is it the whole 9 yards that fits behind the rear seat or just the battery. I thought this was covered by a 7 year 150,000 mile warrentty. The cat. should be covered as well? Boy I'm wondering what it would cost here in Canada? probably double that!!!
The battery warranty is 10 yr/150,000 miles for AT-PZEV rated vehicles in "clean" states: CA, NY, CT, MA and I think VT, NH, and ME.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deboybtd

I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 144, 000 miles, Dealer states IMA battery needs to be replaced cost $4003.00, and Catalytic converter for anther $1092.00.

I can purchase the battery for $2200 and Catalytic Converter for less than $700.00, the $ 5000.00 plus 1/4 the cost off the vehicle less than 5 years old is too high contacted American Honda they will not offer any assistance.

This will be my last hybrid, at least until they become more reliable or can be repaired at a reasonable cost.

My experience with Honda and customer service is disappointing at best.
I actually don't think that Honda is being unreasonable here. You got 144k miles out the vehicle, which is 12 years worth of "normal" driving. If the battery failure is the only issue you've experienced with the car, then I don't see how you can call the vehicle unreliable either. The manufacturer has to set a warranty cut-off somewhere and clearly you have considerably exceeded the warranty life limits for this component.

That said, and as others have noted, it would probably be worth your while to search out any recalls or service bulletins that might affect the IMA and battery system and which have not been performed on your car. These would be especially significant if you had the car serviced at a Honda dealership since they would be expected to notify you of any outstanding issues during your regular service visits. If they didn't you might be able to make a case for goodwill from American Honda.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Most people that have cars last that long and have blown engines or transmissions tend to get them replaced. I don't know how much an engine or tranny would cost to replace, but replacing the battery in a car that has given you that many miles seems like it might save you money in the long term. Do you know how long it would take in gas savings to make up the $6000 or so for the new battery? It might be a factor.

Have you taken the car to another dealer for a second opinion?

If it were me and the car was in otherwise good shape I would just fix it up for another 150K miles.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Can you take this to the next level?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Does anybody know for sure if it will still run indefinetly with a disabled IMA?

If my own battery goes bad with that high miles I'd consider driving it as is. But my driving style is *a bit* different than most people.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

You know, I think what's making this worse is the time it took to exceed the warranty. The "story" I got in 03 is that when the battery warranty ran out in 2011, the cost could be less than $1000. So it stands to reason that in 4 years the packs should be much less than what's being quoted now. At least I hope so. Sticking hybrid owners with a $3K repair at the 8 year mark is unreasonable and will likely loose many supporters or would-be repeat buyers.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would really like to know how you drove your car. Do you have an automatic or a manual? Live in the north or south. Use AC and heat? Lead foot or drive softly. Hypermiler (and if so, what techniques did you use?)

At Insight Central, I saw that many Insight owners with manual transmission and no AC had their IMA battery go bad quicker than the CVT owner. Many of these people did not
use AC or heat.

Please tell us. It will help a lot of other owners.

Rick.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As the IMA lasts about 100k then why should you be angry that Honda isn't stepping in for something that is past its warranty? You've gone almost 50% farther than the warranty covered. I'm golden though as I'm set to eclipse 50,000 miles in my first year of owning my Hybrid (bought it Aug 7, 2006 and have 26k miles over 28 weeks). That would get me 100k miles in aobut 4 years or a heckuva lot sooner than most people (8-10 years) so I don't think I'll have any issues with mine. Even still, the gas savings alone, over my previous car, is paying for all sorts of future services. =)

Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

I don't think you are looking at the big picture the cost of the battery to the dealer is most likely $1500.00 or less, battery plus installation is $4000.00
The dealer stated that it doesn't take long to install. Do you consider this customer friendly?

Quick Reply: IMA Battery Needs Replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands