HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Just completed an otherwise successful install of a Maxx Volts IMA Grid Charger on my '05 HCH I, but after a seemingly complete first charge, the IMA cooling fan runs constantly while driving, and at it's highest speed, too. It's as loud as having your defroster running at it's highest speed. I rechecked my fan harness connections and they are correct per the instructions. The pics provided by Maxx Volts are low-res and the YouTube videos never give a close enough view for an old guy like me, but thanks to forum users I found much better pics and completed the installation. All my dash warning lights have gone out, MPGs went way up and the car drives great (~150K miles). That constant fan is the only issue. Any thoughts/suggestions on what to check or reset??? THANKS!!!

Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Originally Posted by Pepfoot
Just completed an otherwise successful install of a Maxx Volts IMA Grid Charger on my '05 HCH I, but after a seemingly complete first charge, the IMA cooling fan runs constantly while driving, and at it's highest speed, too. It's as loud as having your defroster running at it's highest speed. I rechecked my fan harness connections and they are correct per the instructions. The pics provided by Maxx Volts are low-res and the YouTube videos never give a close enough view for an old guy like me, but thanks to forum users I found much better pics and completed the installation. All my dash warning lights have gone out, MPGs went way up and the car drives great (~150K miles). That constant fan is the only issue. Any thoughts/suggestions on what to check or reset??? THANKS!!!

What did Maxx Volts say? It's clearly a symptom of their fan controller. Either it's in error, or it was deliberate.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Absolutely no assistance from Maxx Volts, unfortunately. I'm hoping someone on this awesome forum will have experienced the same issue & resolved it. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Unfortunate they don't support their products better. 407-476-4860.

Unlike Hybrid Automotive, who puts complete detailed instructions with high-res photos, I can't find anything from a quick search of Maxx-Volts' site, so I can't comment on the installation.

I recommend you disconnect the fan controller and see if behavior returns to normal. Concerning the Hybrid Automotive system, when 12V power is not applied via the grid charger, the fan controller is in bypass mode where the signals to the fan are handled as if the controller isn't there. When 12V power is supplied from the grid charger, the controller takes over the fan. I would presume the Maxx-Volts system works in a similar manner as it is not necessary to run the fan full blast at any time as it basically burns 100W.

It's conceivable the controller could be wired or installed incorrectly. I would make 100% certain that you have it connected correctly.

I can tell you that if the PWM wire is shorted to ground in the 4 wire connector, it will run the fan full blast. I suspect either the controller is malfunctioning, or it is installed incorrectly. It may be that the controller is wired incorrectly, and it's constantly grounding the PWM wire forcing the fan to run at full speed.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Steve! What's strange is I disconnected the two quick 'pin-on' type connectors supplied with the harness and the fan STILL came on. Now when the charger is connected, it does control the fan as required, but I just can't figure out why it runs full force when I'm driving. There was a third green ground wire on the fan part of the harness I self-tapped to the chassis (MV's instructions seem to say to do that). Could that be the issue???

PS - I actually ended up using Hybrid Automotive's MUCH better hi-res photo to make my two main + & - IMA battery connections. Couldn't make heads or tails of the MV one...

Last edited by Pepfoot; 01-05-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM

I would disconnect that ground wire and see what happens. You may have grounded the PWM wire (can't remember the color), and that would explain the behavior.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

Got a FB message response from Maxx Volts, but nothing that really helps me with my issue. Since they're easy access, I disconnected all three of the fan-related MV wires from the car's fan harness and the fan STILL runs constantly and at its highest speed. Now THAT I don't get since that leaves only the two main POS & NEG connections to the IMA battery. Can't figure out why the fan would still run with everything charger harness-related disconnected. Thanks again!

Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Did you unground the one cable?

I don't know how the MV system connects to the fan. It still sounds like there's something connected. I recommend you completely remove it - all traces - and see what happens.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

Steve - Wanted to get your thoughts on this. Disregarding my fan which still runs constantly once you start the car, I'm noticing the time between charges is actually getting shorter instead of longer like I'd expect as the battery developed a 'memory' of being charged. It's only lasting about a day & a half now and then I lose both CHRG & ASSIST. The charge level bars will stay up for a while, but you eventually lose that, too. Does this mean that my IMA battery is pretty much done for? That's kinda' what I'm guessing. Not sure if a bad ECM can cause any of these problems (except for maybe that fan issue), but figured it's worth asking about. Also, is there a little routine you're supposed to go thru after a charge (idling at a certain RPM for a certain length of time or something like that? Thanks again!

Bill

Old 01-22-2017, 08:00 PM

Time between charges is ALWAYS shorter. Grid charging a battery that has generated an IMA error is just lessening the slope of the curve to failure. Grid charging is not a fix. It's a band-aid. That said, grid charging a battery as preventative maintenance PRIOR to failure will likely improve battery life.

I have a few key issues with the MV system. It's charge current is too low, and it tapers even lower near the end. Frequent use of grid charging induces voltage depression, which further lowers usable capacity. Lower currents for long periods of time are not good.

IMHO, if grid charging is needed more than once/month, the battery is likely done-for.

I assume you're getting a CEL and IMA light, which triggers you to grid charge. What is the error code?

Quick Reply: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands