HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Just Purchased 2003 HCH 5-speed Manual

Old 09-05-2005, 06:24 AM
'00 Durango, '01 Intrepid
Question Just Purchased 2003 HCH 5-speed Manual

OK, I think this is my first post here. I've been reading some of the forums, but still have a couple of questions. I purchased a 2003 HCH with 22,000 miles on it and am anxiously awaiting delivery. It will probably be another week or so before the truck arrives with my car. Anyway, I opted for a manual transmission and am curious as to how the electric motor plays with the manual. In particular, I guess I'm wondering when it engages and disengages with respect to the clutch. How does the automatic engine shutdown work with the manual, etc? Any info about the manual transmission in particular and driving would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 09-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just Purchased 2003 HCH 5-speed Manual

The electric motor generator is directly connected to the motor like a flywheel, before the clutch, so it is always engaged. Electronics sensors and computer tell it when to charge the battery and when to act like a motor and assist the gas engine to power boost.

You drive the 5 speed just like any other 5 speed, just drive more conservatively to gain additional mileage. I believe that you have to have it in neutral when stopped for the motor to stop. This forum is full of hints on how to obtain better mileage.

You need to have the ECON button lit/engaged and AC in AUTO modes to make auto stop work.

If car is less than 36 months old and your mileage is correct, you seriously need to consider a Honda extended warranty availabe at any Honda dealer since this is a used car and you might not know the history/operation of previous owner. Negotiate for the low price by contacting different dealers. One problem could make the cost of warranty worthwhile.
Good luck

Old 09-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributor ($)

SSonnentag,
Welcome to GreenHybrid. The automatice engine shutdown integrates seamlessly when you slow down to a stop light once you get to ~19mph (and other conditions are met).
If the car is not up to operating temp it will not go into auto shutoff.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
If car is less than 36 months old and your mileage is correct, you seriously need to consider a Honda extended warranty availabe at any Honda dealer since this is a used car and you might not know the history/operation of previous owner. Negotiate for the low price by contacting different dealers. One problem could make the cost of warranty worthwhile.
Good luck
Ditto this, especially if the car isn't eligible for the 'Certified' program (you get 12K/12mo on the entire car, and 7/70 on the powertrain - one of the better certified programs in the industry).

If you go for the ext. warranty (HondaCare), take a look at the internet sites, like www.curryhondacare.com or www.jayhondacare.com - you'll find the plans priced about 1/2 of what the dealers will charge. And you can use that as a negotiating tool - the local dealer will often match the price, so that they can get the sale. They'd rather get a little bit of your money, rather than nothing.

One thing - I don't know if HondaCare is offered on used (non-1st owner) Hondas.

Also, I do know that the program is changing, w/ regard to starting mileage and deductibles. Check out the online sites for more details.