HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Manual transmission problem, whining

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Manual transmission problem, whining

Has anybody here had a manual transmission problem yet? I just started getting a whining noise in first gear, and it is still there a bit in second gear. I am somewhat familiar with cars in general, and I swear it sounds like a tooth is broken off the input gear or the countershaft gear, making a noise each time the broken tooth goes around.

The car has 80K miles on it, and I changed the transmission oil at 35K, so it has had maintenance. It is a 2003.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 AM
'The Convert'
Default Re: Manual transmission problem, whining

Afternoon,
I have a very similar noise to that in 1st gear, and slightly in 2nd. was told by dealers it's the clutch release bearing, apparently there crap!

Unfortunatly for us the japanese ar'nt very good in the 'whole life cost' department. and as such there are a good few mechanical components that will fail in its early life, e.g wheel bearings, clutch component (except the clutch plate, which are race tested and thus last forever!), throttle bearings. But there are certain components that WILL last forever, the engine (which the whole world knows) and....the transmission. beleive it or not there factory test units have run well beyond 250,000 mile mark.

So to answer your question, its most likely ur clutch components, like mine, the release bearing. checked it out and there around £25 brand new from Honda, but the whole tranny has to be removed. So I was told not to worry until clutch is due (maybe around 90,000), and they do the release bearing for free!!!

L

Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

My clutch and tranny are fine and noise free on my '04 HCH MT.
175,000 miles. Changed the tranny oil at 100k. Will do it again at 200k.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I thought that the noise was caused by noisy brakes, but it has returned.

The noise varies with engine speed in first and second gear. My clutch has been wanting to chatter, and I suspect it may have contributed to input shaft bearing failure in the transmission.

Anyway, I am 99% sure I've got tranny problems. This is going to be really expensive. Sigh.

Last edited by lifespeed; 09-22-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: tranny really has a problem
Old 09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCivic-England
Afternoon,
I have a very similar noise to that in 1st gear, and slightly in 2nd. was told by dealers it's the clutch release bearing, apparently there crap!L
No! The clutch release bearing only makes noise when you are pushing on the clutch NOT when you are driving.

If you hear noise in first and second, you have a tranny problem.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

any update?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had the transmission front seal and input bearing replaced and it fixed the problem. This was at 90K miles, I am at 140K miles now. Still works fine.

I did also replace the clutch and associated components at the same time, would have been foolish not to with the trans out of the car. But the whining was not a clutch or throwout bearing problem.

Not sure if this is just a particularly weak trans and input bearing, if I am just unlucky, or if the clutch trying to chatter really did hammer the input bearing. Sounds like at least one other person has had this problem also.

Last edited by lifespeed; 10-03-2011 at 10:14 AM.