Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default OBD Codes, Can you help?

2004 HCH I
130,000 +/-
Daily Driver 70 mile round trip commute

I call it "The Skate".

Skating to work, CEL comes on, I looked at the odometer, timing for Oil change is about right, continue skating. I run AMSoil in it and usually go 4000 on a change. Two days later my world is shaken, the Skate over revs during a passing maneuver, the tach read 6500 RPM, I backed out of the throttle, when I reapplied the throttle the Skate reacted as if the clutch was slipping... Only there is no clutch per say, right? Apply throttle, rev to redline, marginal or no acceleration. I pulled to the shoulder, shifted to "Park", that is when I notice the green light next to "D" on the dash shifter position indicator blinking rhythmically, on-off twice per second. I cut her off. Waited a few seconds, fired her back up, all looked well. Put her in gear and skated on to work uneventfully, but scared now. I'm broke, can't take her to the shop. A few days later, I lost IMA, no charge or assist indicators, battery level doesn't change EXCEPT, right after cranking, all seems well. Once I accelerate and the tranny hits "3rd" the shifter position begins blinking and the IMA disappears.

OBD code dump reveals the following:
P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request) Malfunction
P2000 Control System
P2000 NOx Trap Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0722 Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal
P2160 Vehicle Speed Sensor "B" Circuit Low
P2159 Vehicle Speed Sensor "B" Range/Performance
P2000 (pd) Undefined Code
P2158 Vehicle Speed Sensor "B"

Where do I start? Can anyone translate that into some form of action plan? Even a referral to a different site or forum would be helpful.

Thanks for any help...
Birdson

Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Think green.
Default Re: OBD Codes, Can you help?

Wow, that's a load of codes.

There was a 2007 service bulletin (#07-036) regarding the CEL light in combination with a P2000 code. There is a software update that is available for it. Here's a link; the date may have passed where you could get the update done for free, so watch that. From reading the link, this only applies to the ULEV model, not the AT-PZEV (SULEV) model; check your rear window or under the hood for a sticker saying which car you have.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420/A07-036.pdf

I looked up some of the other codes in the service manual I have, and found a chart for the AT-PZEV (SULEV) models that lists some of your codes, namely the P0722, P2159, and P2160, which are described just as you have them on your list. There's a footnote common to all 3 of those codes which reads: "This code is caused by an electrical circuit problem and cannot be caused by a mechanical problem in the transmission".
The only thing that doesn't match up in the 2 charts I see is this: for the P0722 code, it says the D indicator will blink like you describe, and the MIL indicator is ON, but the P2159 and P2160 say the D indicator blinks and the MIL indicator is OFF, so I don't know what's up with that.

That's about all I can come up with, just looking at the charts in the '03-'04 service manual. I can't seem to find the other codes you mentioned. The above info is listed in the CVT section of the manual, and the charts say this is for the AT-PZEV (SULEV) model (the California and other "clean states" model); not sure if your car fits into those categories or not.

Anyway, that's the best my tired eyes can do at 1 AM. If I remember, I'll take another look at the book tomorrow. Good luck.

You can try asking msantos over at cleanmpg.com; he may be able to make some sense of it.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 12-14-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors