HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

P1600 and P1570 IMA Codes Showing, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default P1600 and P1570 IMA Codes Showing, now what?

My 2003 HCH was undrivable for a period of time while I did some body work on it, around 3 months. I charged the battery as much as I could before i parked it, and now after putting it back together and driving it I am getting the IMA light on and pulling codes P1600(the general code) and P1570 Battery Module Individual Voltage Input Problem code.

Couple of questions:
Short of buying a grid charger for $600, is there a step by step guide for charging and reconditioning the battery like you would for a NiMH model race car? How hard is it to pull individual sticks of batteries and condition them?

Does anyone know the type of cell that the HCH1 battery is made from or where to purchase them? I'm thinking if my local battery store can weld batteries together and i can find the individual cells, then maybe I could rebuild the pack myself? I know there is a seller on ebay that sells a new pack for around $2k

I've been to places like http://hybrid-battery.com/ (which seems to be down now) and http://www.re-involt.com/ (which looks promising that they are developing a Lion pack), so I know that the batteries are out there.

The dealer here had to check, but he said it was around $4k. I really like this car, and would like to get it back on the road as reasonable as possible. Right now it runs just fine off of the 12v battery but then the battery light comes on and I charge it.

Car has around 129k miles on it and has been a solid performer if I didn't get into an accedent. Beware: many parts on ebay that are listed for the HCH, are actually for a regular Honda Civic. My radiator mount that I welded in had some of the holes in the wrong spot. Quite a pain in the rear.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: P1600 and P1570 IMA Codes Showing, now what?

Eric,

Rebuilding your civic hybrid battery is a little more complicated. Batteries from your local store cannot handle the current load even if they could be welded together.

hybrid-battery.com has gone out of business.

Just recently, rebuilt packs with new batteries are available from a couple of sources. (including my shop)

Beware of 'rebuilt' packs using salvaged modules. These are built and sold by several sources (including me) but they are getting hard to yield and many people who buy them end up getting them warrantied.

PM me if you like, I will be happy to help you.

Eric

AdoptAPart.com
MileHybridauto.com