HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Serpentine Belt Replacement Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Serpentine Belt Replacement Instructions

I have the Honda factory repair manual and no info in it on this procedure that I could find. My car has auto transmission as well. Hoping someone can provide instructions. I wish to replace as it is showing signs of wear

Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Serpentine Belt Replacement Instructions

i know this an old thread, but i was looking for the very same thing and couldn't find it anywhere online, so i took a look at my car and made some educated guesses. the long and the short of it is that i figured it out:
1). open hood
2). locate tensioner pulley--at the very top and toward the front of all the other pulleys
3). using a 12mm wrench (you might be able to get a socket in there) loosen but do not remove the bolt on the side of the tensioner pulley
4). just to the right of the pulley is the adjuster bolt for the tensioner pulley. there are 2 bolts right next to each other--the one you want is toward the front of the car--if you look down you can see that it goes through and moves the tensioner up and down----its a 10mm you might want to use a ratchet with an extension
5). lefty loosey to loosen the tension, righty tighty to tighten it back up.
6) changing the belt is just a matter of moving some of the plastic panels on the side (gotta take of the wheel for that sorry :/ ) and swapping it out. be careful to put it on correctly: grooves to grooves, smooth to smooth.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry to revive an old thread, but how does one know how tight to tighten the bolt for the belt tensioner? How do you when the belt is tight enough?

Old 01-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

I put the new belt on tonight. I also replaced the tensioner pulley. I didn't know how much torque the tensioner pulley bolt so I did it as tight as I felt comfortable. Then I tightened the belt bolt by feel. It seemed pretty tight, but it seems okay when I drive it.

I'm attaching a picture of the belt diagram since it was a pain to find it online and I didn't pay attention to how it came off.

Attached Thumbnails Serpentine Belt Replacement Instructions-belthond006.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast

FWIW, this service can be done from the top, without having to jack the car up or remove the wheel. provided you have skinny enough arms.

And as for belt tension, a general rule of thumb is 1/4" - 1/2" of deflection. Which just means that when you push against the belt (say, below the tensioner) you're able to push it in 1/4" - 1/2".

Hope that helps.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aibaxter
3). using a 12mm wrench (you might be able to get a socket in there) loosen but do not remove the bolt on the side of the tensioner pulley
There's no way to get a socket ratchet wrench on the nut. Part of the body juts out right there.

Mine was torqued down really good. I tried a 12mm Craftsman open end wrench on it, and it start to round the nut. So I went out and got a 12mm box wrench, which will contact all surfaces of the nut. I had to add a cheater (another box wrench) on it to break off the nut.

4). just to the right of the pulley is the adjuster bolt for the tensioner pulley. there are 2 bolts right next to each other--the one you want is toward the front of the car--if you look down you can see that it goes through and moves the tensioner up and down----its a 10mm you might want to use a ratchet with an extension
The one to the left removes a plastic shroud that covers the tensioner pulley. You'll want to take this off for access anyway.

Old thread, but hope this helps someone