HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Thought i might get you opinions on this, clunking noise from the front suspension?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Thought i might get you opinions on this, clunking noise from the front suspension?

Ive had this problem for over a year, when i park my 05 hybrid my steering/suspension makes this popping/clunking noise. Ive taken the car to honda to figure out the problem and they have basicly blown me off. The noise is very easy to reproduce in the car so the dealership had no problem of hearing it. It is easiest to hear when doing a 3-point turn when the wheel is turned to its maximum and then back the other way. Honda has replaced both my front struts, both rear control arms, retorqued all the chassis bolts, hooked up chassis mics to the car. The problem is still there! Ive taken the car back to honda on multiple occasions, and they have basicly said the problem is not life threatening and we cannot do any more for you. ive even taken this up with american honda and they said it was up to the dealership, they also sent a tech to look at the car and left it up to the dealership. I curious if anyone else has experienced a clunking noise when turning the wheel while parking/3-point turns? How can i get them to fix the problem when they dont even know what it is? My car has been in the shop for about a months time in the past for them to troubleshoot it.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: Thought i might get you opinions on this, clunking noise from the front suspensio

Somebody did think to check the CV joints, right? I know it's much too early for them to fail on an '05, but I also know that anytime there are funny steering-related noises on a front-drive car, especially tight-steering related, just double-check the CVs to be sure. If there's any damage whatsoever to the covering boot, make them inspect the joints themselves. And if they just can't find a source in any suspension or steering-related parts, make them check the CVs even if the boot isn't damaged.

-doug

Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thought i might get you opinions on this, clunking noise from the front suspensio

Bumps with the wheel fully turned will make a clunking noise when the CV joints are wearing out. I don't have this particular problem, but I do get unexplained clunks from the front end in other situations, hitting a bump while turning (or sometimes not) often does it. I just don't worry about it much. Moving parts sometimes just make noise.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe Doug hit the nail on the head!!! H