HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving

OK. I'll go for the 51R when I go to battery warehouse.

This is the one i found for iOS.
Reader Reader

Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That certainly looks like it will give you the ability to read and reset codes; however, I don't do iOS, so it's just speculation on my part.

I still vigorously recommend Torque. There is a free version that will enable you to confirm installation on your tablet. Honestly, the free version works pretty well too, but the $6 version is so much cleaner and feature-rich.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Looks like I already have a 51R in there. I'm taking it to battery warehouse tomorrow morning so they can properly test it.

Attached Thumbnails 06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving-battery.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I took it to Battery Warehouse on Saturday. Their Tech said the battery is still good but if I don't run the car every day I could experience some trouble starting it in the winter. Their price was $98 for a 51R and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Now that I think of it the only times I had trouble with it turning off was when I didn't drive the car for a 3-5 days at a time.

He also said they have 3 sources they use for Hybrid IMA batteries. I gave him my info so he could get me some quotes. They sell new and reconditioned packs. He said with my battery's age and with the IMA light being on for 3 years it may not respond well to charging.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:36 AM

DIY charger link in my sig.

Know nothing about battery warehouse. Wouldn't trust them without knowing more. For $80 or so, you can build what you need to charge/discharge your pack and know for sure. If you've been running with the master off, battery has likely recovered and will respond well. If you've been recalibrating daily it's a crapshoot.

IMHO there are only two real sources for packs. Bumblebee and hybrid revolt.

Originally Posted by Colematthew82
I took it to Battery Warehouse on Saturday. Their Tech said the battery is still good but if I don't run the car every day I could experience some trouble starting it in the winter. Their price was $98 for a 51R and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Now that I think of it the only times I had trouble with it turning off was when I didn't drive the car for a 3-5 days at a time.

He also said they have 3 sources they use for Hybrid IMA batteries. I gave him my info so he could get me some quotes. They sell new and reconditioned packs. He said with my battery's age and with the IMA light being on for 3 years it may not respond well to charging.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I agree. They are a long standing business in our city. Never steered me wrong with past engine batteries. I spoke with him on the phone just a few minutes ago. They source the IMA batteries from GreenTecAuto. 3 choices for 2006-2011. Their store prices are a little higher obviously. He said $175 to instal it.
http://greentecauto.com/product-tag/civic-2006-2011

Old 10-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Got my
Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD II OBD2 Scanner Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD II OBD2 Scanner
from Amazon this week. Also, bought the App https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion for $9.99. It has great customizable Dashboards and CEL diagnosis. Able to clear codes after fixes also. I've used it to monitor my engine battery voltage and haven't seen any issues since my car turned off while driving. It was also designed in Gibsonia, PA, 20 min from my hometown.

Attached Thumbnails 06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving-dashboard-1.png   06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving-dashboard-2.png   06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving-dashboard-3.png  
Old 10-21-2015, 07:56 AM

Very nice. What about that coolant temp sensor? What does your coolant temp show?

Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

When I had it inspected at Honda last week they diagnosed the check engine light for free because of a few recalls. He said the garage tech looked at it and one off the pins in the sensor is broken. I refused the replacement at that time. I did order a
Honda Temp Sensor Honda Temp Sensor
on Amazon because I had a $10 off coupon and it was free shipping. The coolant temp is still being read though. I'm going to replace it next week to see if the code clears.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:23 AM

good deal. A messed up coolant sensor can wreak havoc on the fuel management system, particularly if it's reading low.

Quick Reply: 06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands