HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

07 HCII, CVT Shudder from stop, New IMA, DC/DC, Tranny fluid=13Kmiles old?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 HCII, CVT Shudder from stop, New IMA, DC/DC, Tranny fluid=13Kmiles old?

The CVT runs pretty cool unless you're burnishing it and cooking the start clutch.

Does that mean they did a 3rd change? That would be 3 changes? That's almost a flush. Perhaps that's what it needed.

I would say it sounds definitely improved and would consider operating it until it deteriorates.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 HCII, CVT Shudder from stop, New IMA, DC/DC, Tranny fluid=13Kmiles old?

Originally Posted by S Keith
The CVT runs pretty cool unless you're burnishing it and cooking the start clutch.

Does that mean they did a 3rd change? That would be 3 changes? That's almost a flush. Perhaps that's what it needed.

I would say it sounds definitely improved and would consider operating it until it deteriorates.
That would be 4 times; I guess that means the problem is merely delayed and wil most likely come back?
Any possibility that I got lucky and this was never meant to be an issue?
I am thinking long term, if I should just get rid of it and go back to a 4runner so much for saving the environment

Old 03-21-2016, 06:08 AM

There are a few reports of flushes restoring function.

I would continue with a fluid change every other oil change and hope for the best. My 2nd HCH2 had 223K miles on the clock on the original CVT when I sold it, and my 1st HCH2 is having no issues at 150K.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

UPDATE: So my headaches continue with this car...
The Transmission failed at 90,000 miles, we were stranded a few miles from the house with what I can tell was a broken CVT belt (basically Neutral in all gears)..
I found a used Tranny with 57,000 miles locally weaverautoparts.com and had it installed at a relative's garage ($400), they usually charge $600 and the main guy had a 05 with shudder, to failure to replacement from junkyard install experience...
Also the mount was broken, and axel was jammed in the hub bearing that was an additional $240ish.
New 6 qt cvt fluid was used, the transmission is showing the same symptoms although less frequently...bummer.... not sure how old was the 12V battery (maybe causing ECU issues) I took it to Orielly's the guy tested with an old school tester with coils in the front that heatup (load) and it shows bad cell, I took it to Autozone and Advance Auto and they tell me its good (they have a newer unit). So I put in a new battery from Costco (51R) and for the first $100 miles, in 97 degrees, with ac at 60 full fan and headlights on, many many stop and go and I could not reproduce it. Then last night back again, a few times I simply turned the car off and then started again and for the entire drive cycle it does nothing BTW did I mention it was 97 here yesterday..

Since the tranny is still under warranty from weaver, I can have them take it out and try the other one with 64,000 miles, that is another $400ish and still risky, what are the odds that this transmission is bad also, and that next one will be ok, may be it is something completely else, no codes nothing...

I was trying to reset the ECU per the procedure posted here, disconnect - then + terminals. short the cables, turn Ignition in position II, wait 15 mins, turn off IGN take key out, reconnect + the - cables to batt. start idle for 5 min, 5 min off, drive raise to 5K in S the take my foot of accl until a crawl or should I stop?, repeat 2 more times, idle 5 mins

When I connect the battery back I d not see the PPPP or any other words, simply mileage etc what am I missing here?

Last edited by mastee; 06-14-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

Update: $500 and 2nd transmission later, the shudder is not gone, so it has to be something else. If anyone has any ideas on what I may try next please chime in, may be a new ECU?

Still no codes, so this is a first for me to be dealing something like this, Honda, Mr. Transmission and our mechanic, no one can figure it out

Old 06-24-2016, 06:02 PM

Take the IMA battery out of the equation. Turn off the master switch and go for a short drive.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

Our mechanic did say that he disconnected some harness to disable the hybrid battery and took it for a drive and same problem, not sure if it was the master switch but I can probably drive there with the spare key and test it out, the master switch is behind the rear seat, right?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 PM

Yes, that's the one behind the vertical cushion of the rear seat.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Turning the switch did not eliminate the problem. I have bought a interm toyota for now, what else I can try, someone had a similar story, all diagnosis from dealership, Amco and private mechanic told him of a tranny failure, he requested the dealership that his ECU be re flashed not reset but upload the SW, it has been almost two years without any issues, I am tempted to get a ecu from ebay for $50 and give it a shot. I really would prefer than it gets fixed and not have to be junked...

Old 07-02-2016, 03:18 PM

Wow. Nuts.

I hope the ECU gets it sorted.

Steve

Quick Reply: 07 HCII, CVT Shudder from stop, New IMA, DC/DC, Tranny fluid=13Kmiles old?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands