HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

12V Battery Replacement Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V Battery Replacement Detailed

Yes, thanks S.
I have read posts here in the past when I first had issues with my 12v battery and only recently joined to actually read more. Your posts are very detailed and thorough. We are lucky that we only get killer heat for a couple weeks or months here, but cold really sucks for mileage on hybrids too.

I wish I had started grid charging my IMA battery back in 2012 or sooner on my 2008. Luckily, I was able to get a warranty "replacement" as the extension just barely covered me at 150,000 KM (92k miles I guess), in Canada.
Back then I was afraid of voiding the warranty or artificially extending my battery life, only to fail at say 160k
Now we know better, that we should have had maintenance (like everything else on our cars) for the IMA all the way along.

Any suggestions on testing the 12v battery health? I think Im at exactly 3 years, now but maybe its only 2 and dont ever want to get stuck again for a $69 battery which is cheap compared to a tow truck to boost at -25 C
-J

Old 01-20-2016, 05:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The only way to truly confirm 12V health is to take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it.

Assuming it's been parked and idle for about 12hr, if you check it under the hood before starting it in the morning, it should be above 12.5V.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you! I will find my volt meter and see if I get above 12.5V tomorrow AM.
My kids (or me) leave the interior light on or we left the trunk open and the trunk light was on all night I just have to plugin the maintenance charger to make sure its topped up before I test again.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Discharging to completion take its tolls on 12V batteries. One that's only a few months old can handle it a few times. Get 1-2 years on a battery and a long slow deep discharge can kill it beyond the point of reliability.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I vigorously repeat the recommendation for upgrading to a 51R from the puny 151R.

Here in AZ, we're lucky to get batteries to last more than 2-3 years.
What did you do about the lower battery tray and the upper battery cover? The puny ones that come with HCH2 won't fit the larger battery. Did you decide to run without a tray and cover?

It would seem to me that the tray and cover would lessen the heat from the engine. It's a smaller engine in there than the gas civic, but there's still heat from in there.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mpk
What did you do about the lower battery tray and the upper battery cover? The puny ones that come with HCH2 won't fit the larger battery. Did you decide to run without a tray and cover?

It would seem to me that the tray and cover would lessen the heat from the engine. It's a smaller engine in there than the gas civic, but there's still heat from in there.
I chucked 'em.

Old 11-15-2021, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GordonLightfoot
The Honda replacement battery #151R is puny and costs $159. I instead bought an Interstate Megatron II #MT-51R for $95. OEM is 335 cca, Interstate is 500 cca.
THe case size is bigger, but it will fit in the HCH space fine, but the plastic tray has to go.
See the pictures attached to get an idea of how much bigger it is, and how it fits. I highly recommend this bigger battery.
I also submit this tale as a warning that if your 12v battery is 4 or 5 years old, you better get a new one asap. There was no warning at all that it was weak. And remember, do not put your HCH in Park if the battery is weak or dead, it can strand you helplessly.
GL
I purchased the Optima Yellow Top, and my mechanic said that it was the wrong battery. Where can I buy the #MT-51R?

Old 11-15-2021, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Did a quick search and found this;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/isb-mt-51r

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-51r