HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 Civic Hybrid Engine unresponsive for a few sec while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:51 PM
In love with my HCH
Default 2006 Civic Hybrid Engine unresponsive for a few sec while driving

Hello, looking for some info to get educated before I take it to the dealer to look at.

This first occurred about 2 weeks ago, when stepping on the gas pedal the engine would not respond. The engine would not rev or anything, completely unresponsive and the car was just gliding. All other power and electronics remained fine, no warning lights or other errors indicators.

I've had loss of battery power in the past where the engine was still accelerating, just straining hard, but this was not like it as now the engine was completely not responding but all battery/power related electronics are fine.

I can't recall if it was going up or downhill -- it was around time the incline changed in a freeway ramp that began up and then moves down. At first I thought it was me accidentally putting it on neutral as I have a habit of resting my hand on the shift ****, but putting it in/out of drive did not help initially but after the 2nd try everything was back to normal so I thought nothing of it afterwards.

I never had to restart the ignition, as the engine never did not shut off, it’s just like all of a sudden stuck in idle and not responding to input from the gas pedal.

But if happened again this morning, again on a hill transition, either right before the top of the hill or right as I was coming down it. This time I know I did not have my hand on the shift ****.

It resolved itself about the same, I had to shift in/out of drive a few times and it worked fine again a few seconds later. I've made an appt to goto the dealer to have it looked at tomorrow but wanted to get ideas first on what it might be.

I've been good with maintenance (going at 15% life) and changing out everything that they recommended, and also did the IMA battery recall upgrade.

Is this a transmission issue?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Engine unresponsive for a few sec while driving

I got nothin. Please follow-up with what the dealer says.