HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 HCH II AC stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2006 HCH II AC stopped working

My AC stopped working. When I turn it on, its blowing warm air, and I don't feel the compressor turning on.

I believe the hybrids have an Electric AND compressor AC system. neither of them are working in my case, there is no change in temperature when it is on vs. off.

Does this point to a leak - not sure where to start on this one

Also, I have a corroded cooling sensor that's causing engine code P2183 (engine coolant temp sensor2) and P0111 (Intake air temperature circuit range/performance problem).

Is it possible that these engine codes would prevent the AC running?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 HCH II AC stopped working

I can't say for certain. The P0111 would seem to be potentially related. If the circuit is reporting extremely low temperature, it could potentially prevent the A/C from working. Have you tried it on "Lo", recirc & max fan? I would expect that setting to override any sensor issues.

A cheap set of R-134a gauges can be had from Harbor Freight. That can tell you if your refrigerant levels are so low, the compressor won't kick on.

Of the last 3 Hondas I've owned (09 Fit, 2X 06 HCH-2), all three have been prone to refrigerant leaks. I have added R-134a to HCH-2 #1 twice in the 5 years we've had it. That said, ONLY use straight R-134a without sealant or oil. The electric compressor requires a special oil that is extremely expensive and only available from Honda. As I understand it, it is only available in bottles that one would typically use when refilling a system component-by-component, not in a compressed can.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you for the response. I bought the Harbor Freight gauges.

I connected them up with the couplers, turned on the car and A/C. Then I opened up the valves on the coupler connectors.

The pressure on high AND low stayed at 0. I never heard any refrigerant or anything when connecting.

Is this possible that every ounce of pressure is gone and leaked?

Should I attempt to put in refrigerant?

I got rid of the engine codes by replacing the corroded coolant sensor. So far the codes are gone.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:47 AM

I would confirm there is no pressure by manually depressing the low side schrader valve. It's possible the gauge isn't properly depressing the valve, and it's good to confirm it.

Note: it's technically illegal to deliberately vent R-134a, so make sure you do it accidentally.

Given my experience with my last 3 Hondas, I personally think they have an issue with leaky A/C systems, so I have no trouble believing it's all gone. The '09 Fit we just sold took about 12oz before pressures were in range, and I used another total 2.5 cans filling both '06 HCH2s.

Around here, Walmart sells the 12oz cans of bare refrigerant (no oil or sealer) for $9.99. I don't know the capacity, but I'd buy 3 cans. You'll probably need at least 2. Make absolutely certain that they are straight R-134a - no additives.

Use the following pressure chart to ensure proper filling:

http://acprocold.com/faq/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/

If you have trouble getting both pressures in-range for a given ambient, you likely have some moisture in the system, and it needs to be professionally serviced. You may find that's the case anyway if the leak is significant, but that's going to be up to you and your tolerance for refilling.

R-134a is still a CFC that can damage the ozone; however, it is an extremely "fragile" molecule in comparison to R-12 that is typically broken down by other atmospheric compounds before they can do damage to the ozone. A slow leak shouldn't be any concern.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 06-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK I verified that there was absolutely no pressure on either port.

So I connected R134 while engine was running and AC. I heard the pressure switch/compressor kick in after about 10 seconds of filling.

THEN, all of a sudden a bunch of smoke/refrigerant started coming out of the front and engine compartment. It was coming out for at least a minute until it stopped

So is it most likely a Condensor leak in the front correct? Is this hard to replace? I'm guessing it must be easier than replacing an evaporator which is buried inside the car.

I need to see how much the parts are.

By the way I drive this car a lot on the highway, could this be damage from rocks or something? Is the condensor in front or back of the radiator?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:22 PM

Wow. Sounds like a major leak. The condenser is mounted in front of the radiator, and it's the high pressure heat exchanger, so it's a good candidate for leaking. Hoses and fittings can also be a source in the area you describe. You are correct that the condenser is easy relative to the evaporator. You'll want to look into other components that should be replaced... typically the dryer and the expansion valve; however, I don't know what the specifics are on the HCH2. I'll look at the service manual this weekend.

Hmmm... I don't know where the dryer is on the car, but that's before the compressor inlet and not likely to fail due to pressure.

If you decide to go the DIY route, you will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the system before refilling, and you'll need the big bottle of the special hybrid refrigerant oil... about $80.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Not sure if it makes sense to pull a vacuum on the system because wouldn't that pull outside air/moisture into the hole thats leaking?

I just ordered a new condensor / drier combo for $80. Will install and then have shop vacuum and fill. Hopefully that does it

Old 06-12-2015, 09:13 AM

Sorry I wasn't more specific. Vacuum is AFTER you replace components.

Again, make absolutely certain the shop is completely aware of the oil specific to the Honda Hybrid A/C system, and they should not add any oil. Actually, now that I think about it, since you're replacing the drier and condenser, YOU should fill those components with the specified amount of oil.

Contact me via PM

Old 06-18-2015, 08:51 PM

I had a doozy this evening. Wife complained that the AC stopped working in HCH#2. when I hooked up the gages, they were reading 200 psi high side and off the scale on the low. Ambient was about 100°F, so static pressure should have been around 125 psi.

This will be a tricky one. In the mean time, we are switching cars...

Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is it over charged? or is something plugged up in there?

I will be working on my AC this weekend, I should be receiving the condenser tonight or tomorrow

Quick Reply: 2006 HCH II AC stopped working

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands