HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

battery pack and radiation effect on children

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default battery pack and radiation effect on children

Hi to all
Thanks to this site that I have manage to convince my self that hybrid is the way to go. I will be getting the car delivered in 2 months.(can't wait).
I was more interested in a diesel car but ended up disliking it due to the diesel clatter on idle.
2 major dislikes in Honda HCN 2 that I found was :
1) No Vehicle stability control on it in Australian models. ( I think its the same in the US).
2) Can someone fill me on the radiation effect of the battery pack for the rear passengers. I have small kids who will be sitting in the back seat ( using a booster seat). I have read in some other web sites where it was stated that the radiation level from these batteries are not much. I can understand its probably not much or no effect on the front passenger or the driver but what is the long term effect on young children who are sitting NEXT TO THE BATTERY IN A HCH2.
Thanks
Pauls

Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: battery pack and radiation effect on children

Originally Posted by pauls
2) Can someone fill me on the radiation effect of the battery pack for the rear passengers. I have small kids who will be sitting in the back seat ( using a booster seat). I have read in some other web sites where it was stated that the radiation level from these batteries are not much. I can understand its probably not much or no effect on the front passenger or the driver but what is the long term effect on young children who are sitting NEXT TO THE BATTERY IN A HCH2.
Thanks
Pauls
While I don't have any websites or studies to point you to, I'd have to think any potential effects on rear seat passengers is washed out just by natural background radiation. There just isn't enough power back there to radiate very far (radiation intensity drops as the square of distance), and the power is being channeled through wires rather than transmitted wirelessly (like it is with a cell phone, for example).

Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Well, my girl sits on a booster seat in the back of our HCH II and so far, she still has 2 arms and 3 feet so I think we are doing pretty good

Last edited by JavaJ; 07-25-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
World's First Hybrid

I don't believe that NiMH batteries can emit any form of ionizing radiation (from nuclear fission process). There may be non-ionizing RF emissions from charging circuits and computers but way below any health dangers and certainly no different from a non hybrid vehicle.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
There may be non-ionizing RF emissions from charging circuits and computers but way below any health dangers and certainly no different from a non hybrid vehicle.
The EM fields from charging/intelligence circuits will be insignificant compared to those generated by the ~158V current flowing through the orange-jacketed wires, which in turn is a mere sniffle compared to what's in the 12kV distribution line on the telephone pole in your backyard, or the 100kV (or higher) transmission line on steel towers (which can light a florescent tube bulb if you stand it near the lines http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...ce/index.html).

Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Fear-mongering of radiation of this sort is a ploy of those who make a living off of such nonsence. Don't worry about it.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's not fear mongering. It's a valid question worth discussion. Maybe you should look into the radiation affects, esp. on children.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

I think we have more issues in our medicine cabinet and cleaning supplies to worry about. We expose ourself and our kids to so much garbage these days- we should all take some time to look at how we live in our homes (and cars) and evaluate potential risks.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't think that there is anything to worry about. Have you found any websites that show the battery being strong enough to produce negative effects? I would like to know these effects too, because I would prefer that my rear passengers weren't exposed to harmful radiation.