Originally Posted by crw
Thanks that helps tremendously.
CRW,

What's the verdict?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 PM
crw
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Its all good! She has been driving it for over a week and no warning lights. It drives normally again. I have to say I had my doubt's. I was Very happy. Thanks for all your help and patience. Very much appreciated. Charles

Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I guess I should have asked for the evidence AND the verdict.

Did you end up replacing any subpacks?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi all! Wow! When I started this thread I never suspected it would continue for this long! LOL I finally broke down an purchased a new pack. Now i'm fighting a check engine light and an engine that's miss-firing. But the pack is great. Go figure.

I bow to those that continue to make strides in refurbishing their packs. It is a noble effort!

Be well!

Ross

Old 03-25-2015, 05:57 AM

Ross,

LOL... it's a sickness... new chargers, techniques and OCD... that's all it takes.

Thanks again for the boost. The pack is still going strong... Not even a single recal since installation.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanks rossfree!

Old 05-09-2015, 11:57 AM
crw
Enthusiast

I successfully reconditioned the pack on 06 civic. I bought a grid charger and can charge this pack up to the maximum. As I understand it its just as important to discharge the pack lower than the cars computer does. I am trying to find a way to slowly discharge the whole pack. I hooked up a couple of light bulbs(100w) in parallel and connected them to the main terminals. When I switched on the pack both bulbs blew. The immediate surge of power was too much. Does anyone have a way to discharge the whole pack?

Old 05-09-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by crw
I successfully reconditioned the pack on 06 civic. I bought a grid charger and can charge this pack up to the maximum. As I understand it its just as important to discharge the pack lower than the cars computer does. I am trying to find a way to slowly discharge the whole pack. I hooked up a couple of light bulbs(100w) in parallel and connected them to the main terminals. When I switched on the pack both bulbs blew. The immediate surge of power was too much. Does anyone have a way to discharge the whole pack?
Put them in series. In parallel the circuit resistance was cut in half. In series, it will be double.

I recommend the following:
  1. Grid charge to peak voltage for about 24 hours.
  2. Discharge to 120V with 2X 100W or 200W Tungsten bulbs - don't get the high efficiency type.
  3. Replace with 2X 60W bulbs and discharge to < 2V (may take > 8 hours)
  4. Briefly grid charge pack up to 132V (should only take a few minutes)
  5. Disconnect grid charger, disconnect 12V for 30 seconds, reconnect 12V.
  6. Start car and allow it to charge to full SOC
  7. Do 5 & 6 a total of 3 times
  8. Reconnect grid charger, top it off with the grid charger (5-8 hours). Conduct 5 & 6 again after grid charging.

The car charging occurs at a much higher current than the grid charger. The aftermarket folks "in the know" suspect that the higher charge rate is more successful at "waking up" inactivated material within the cells and can improve capacity and internal resistance.

Steve

Last edited by S Keith; 05-09-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:04 PM
crw
Enthusiast

Thanks, its a very detailed process.I put them series and it blows just one bulb. In series . . . black goes to black on first bulb then black comes off of white side of bulb, it connects to black size of second bulb. White comes off of white side of second bulb as the return and completes the circuit. That's how I have it. Regular incandescent light bulbs. I think they are all supposed to be tungsten?

Quick Reply: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands