HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Broken Engine Mounts on HCH II (2006)

Old 10-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Broken Engine Mounts on HCH II (2006)

There are multiple sites, and I can't attest to the best or worst. I've only placed a few orders, and EZ was used lately on another site. I absolutely would NOT order everything on the list. I would just order the 3 mount pieces containing rubber as it's the rubber that wears. They recommend replacement of the bolts, but I refuse to believe it's necessary.

I would shop a few sites and try to find which presents the cheapest overall option in price+shipping.

Thank you for the reference. It gives a .6 + .3 hour job time. That provides a basis for the work estimate. 0.6 X 3 + .3 = 2.1 hours total time for a professional. I feel like my 4-6 hour estimate is pretty realistic for me.

If you're not comfortable with the diagnosis, confirmation by an independent shop might give you some reassurance. It's worth it to me to do my own work even if I only break even (parts + new tool costs + hours spent), but it might be worth it for you to spend a couple hundred on labor for convenience if you're not into turning wrenches.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm ordering the limited parts today and have a friend who can help me with tools and skill on the repair. Will post pictures and/or let you know how it goes in a week or two. Hopefully nothing happens to the engine in the meantime.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by EastR84
Thanks. I'm ordering the limited parts today and have a friend who can help me with tools and skill on the repair. Will post pictures and/or let you know how it goes in a week or two. Hopefully nothing happens to the engine in the meantime.
Fantastic. Looking forward to reading of your success!

Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

All done! Was able to do the job in about 4 hours today from start to cleanup. Torque mount and side engine mount were easy - maybe 1 hour total and removing the plastic underbody was the hardest part. Both were intact and looked fine although I replaced each since I had already ordered the parts and didn't want to do the job again when the rubber degrades more. The transmission mount (right side) was the real job, lots of wary bolts and maneuvering to get to the piece (including removing the engine air filter box and several deep frame bolts), but success at the end. There was a substantial tear in the rubber mount on that piece (will post photos later) and the repair was worth it. Look forward to hearing of others' work on the same DIY job.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 PM

Thanks for following-up! Glad to hear it went well!

We bought a second 06 HCH2, and it's probably going to need mounts just like the other as it's much higher mileage!

Should go a bit smoother for me on the second HCH2... it didn't come with the darn underbody panels!

Steve

Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM

ZOMBIE THREAD ARISE!

Follow-up...

I purchased mounts off eBay... way cheaper. Downside is the engine mount was the wrong one... I discovered this when I tried to install it and thought to compare the two.. WAY different visually.

Moved on to the transmission mount. Yeah... a real bear...

Airbox out.
Battery out.
Main fuse box out (make sure you clip the zip tie at the base to allow easy separation of the top from the lower cover)
Multiple brackets loosened/removed.
"Cheap" mount turned out to have the wrong threads in the top. Fortunately, I had recently purchased a Harbor Freight tap and die set... M10x1.25 threads cut (pre-drill with 11/32 bit)!

Engine side mount was about $90 and transmission side mount was $70. Supposedly, I'm getting the right engine side mount sent to me. We'll see.

I was right.. lack of underbody panels made it easy under there...

I think it was due...

And here's the engine side mount... after I tried to install it...

So obvious, I woulda picked up on it before removal... dummy.

Last edited by S Keith; 02-10-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
ZOMBIE THREAD ARISE!

Follow-up...

I purchased mounts off eBay... way cheaper. Downside is the engine mount was the wrong one... I discovered this when I tried to install it and thought to compare the two.. WAY different visually.

Moved on to the transmission mount. Yeah... a real bear...

Airbox out.
Battery out.
Main fuse box out (make sure you clip the zip tie at the base to allow easy separation of the top from the lower cover)
Multiple brackets loosened/removed.
"Cheap" mount turned out to have the wrong threads in the top. Fortunately, I had recently purchased a Harbor Freight tap and die set... M10x1.25 threads cut (pre-drill with 11/32 bit)!

Engine side mount was about $90 and transmission side mount was $70. Supposedly, I'm getting the right engine side mount sent to me. We'll see.

I was right.. lack of underbody panels made it easy under there...

I think it was due...

And here's the engine side mount... after I tried to install it...

So obvious, I woulda picked up on it before removal... dummy.
Thanks for the update. Definitely needed replacement looking at your old mounts. These are the three parts I ordered online and their prices, all were honda OEMs. Car has been running great since (after a warranty IMA replacement this month at 162k miles).

HondaAutomotiveParts.com shipped from Connecticut
50850-SNC-A91 RUBBER ASSY., TRANSMISSION MOUNTING 1 $152.74 $152.74
50890-SNC-A91 ROD, TORQUE (LOWER) 1 $60.33 $60.33

And from Amazon: Genuine Honda 50820-SNC-043 Engine Side Mounting Rubber Assembly for $180 (current price is $217)

Also ordered a few OEM bolts from HondaAutomotiveParts to make sure everything was attached well for $6 total.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 AM

First, congrats on the warranty replacement. That was good fortune!

Since I expect that you're out of any kind of warranty period, I recommend you get a grid charger/discharger and cycle the battery every oil change or so.

I was headed the OEM route as well, but the pricing was too annoying. Total for all parts was about $200 (torque rod was about $40, but I did that one some time ago as it was easy). Clearly, the replacement parts had issues, but the >50% savings is worth it. Based on a visual examination of the parts and manipulating the elastomers mechanically, I see no indications they are of lower quality.

Steve

Old 07-18-2016, 11:59 AM

I finally got the passenger side mount sorted. Right part from rock auto for about $110 after two wrong parts from ebay. Total parts cost was under $180.

The first thing I noticed was the post was about 3/8" taller than the old one. This was clearly the issue as it was smooth as glass afterwards. Very easy compared to the transmission side.