HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Buying used and concerned..mpg

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Buying used and concerned..mpg

Ok so i found an 06 civic hybrid with 50k on the clock and the dealer is only asking $14,000. The car is priced well under bluebook which makes me wonder. I ran a vehicle history report and found that the car had one owner and it was under a lease program. No reported problems at all. Now the car is under warranty because its honda certified but i'm worried that ill buy the car and it will have poor gas mileage right away. An 05 non hybrid civic with similar mileages runs for $10-11k. Should I be worried that ill get poor mpg and waste about 4k if the car doesnt get 40+ mpg

Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying used and concerned..mpg

I would not hesitate, as this is one great car. There is a issue with the rear upper control arms! If you notice any tire wear on the tires , make sure they correct this problem. Press your tires to 40 lbs. and you will get good millage. You will get good mpg with normal pressures as well. Are you purchasing it at a Honda dealer? Hal

Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok so i found an 06 civic hybrid with 50k on the clock and the dealer is only asking $14,000. The car is priced well under bluebook which makes me wonder. ---snip--

A couple of issues to note. Other than the rear control arms that was
mentioned earlier are: Tires - OEM low rolling resistance tires do make a difference. Other tires will cost you MPG. Depending on where you are located in very hot climates running the A/C causes batteries to
regen causing no engine power. In very cold climates (personal sinuation) no heat thus windows always fog up plus no cabin heat.

In my opinion and personal experience: STAY AWAY. The Honda Civic Hybrid is a poor car. If you must go hybrid check out the Prius.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it is a great car and better than the prius for the kind of use I need.
Yea the Prius is a good choice for some too but it seems to suck more in cold drives than the civic hybrid; and it rattles like crazy and handles worse to.
I say, take the time to learn about the HCH and you will prob see it as an excellent car. its not a perfect car but many owners aren't perfect anyways so ask and listen and maybe its a good car for you too.
I forget where I saw it first but theres an faq somewhere about the HCH2.

ks

Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 AM

This might be the faq Kevin's thinking of. It's a good one anyway:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18185

We have the '06, and I'm still on-the-fence, in my opinion on the car. It is a relatively mild hybrid, ie: it's battery propulsion is not as strong as the Prius, which will best it in city driving. OTOH, we're just accustomed to Hondas, prefer the Civic styling, body type, etc.

Note: the rear seat doesn't flip down on the latest Civic Hybrid, due to the battery being sandwiched into the seat back. It's rumoured this will be fixed in next gen.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you have a short commute or drive primarily in stop and go traffic conditions, I would seriously consider not purchasing this car, unless, you really don't mind doing what it takes to exploit what it really can do. However, this can take a lot of focus and concentration on top of driving defensively.

I don't mind and have practiced enough at it now that it is second nature to me.

However, if I had to do it all over again, I may have considered the Prius.

If your commute is mostly highway, then this is definitely the car for you. This car can easily achieve 70mpg on the highway, if you keep it below 65mph and keep the fuel consumption display pegged between 50mpg and 100mpg. This type of driving is easier on the battery pack because there's little need for the Assist due to lack of the 'stop and go'.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it is a great car and better than the prius for the kind of use I need.
Yea the Prius is a good choice for some too but it seems to suck more in cold drives than the civic hybrid; and it rattles like crazy and handles worse to.

Thanks for your comments. Its good to hear personal experiences on the Prius. I have talked to others local here in Sask. and Alberta if they have heat issues when its -20C or lower. They both said "no, they are fine".

Now I have to take their word on this. Myself when people ask how the Civic hybrid is I tell them, "very poor car in winter, no heat, mistake to buy, etc.". Most of them the smiles drop away. I'm not the one to lie to save face and say anything different.

I say, take the time to learn about the HCH and you will prob see it as an excellent car. its not a perfect car but many owners aren't perfect anyways so ask and listen and maybe its a good car for you too.

I will be starting my 3rd year with this car in Jan., I know all about it now. Don't get me wrong, this car is good in the Summer. Here in Sask., our summers are not that hot so the A/C gets used very little, so it usually gets 4.5 to 5 l/100km. One time coming back from Edmonton, AB. I got 3.5 l/100km. (85 mpg) Who wouldn't be happy with that? The problem is the heat or lack there of in the winter. Who has to scrape the frost off from the inside of the windows when its -20C or lower? I do, and this is unacceptable.

Last edited by starman; 11-15-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 PM

Starman: I have had my car out in -20--25 without a issue on a few occasions. I do know it gets cold in SK., but it seems like your HCH is not working well when heating the cab! Does the engine temp get to normal operating point? About half way up the gauge? Have you come up with a system that will block the air flow to the rad. It almost seems as if your heater is not functioning properly. Water line blocked, air hose falling off, mouse nest in the heater? Has Honda not been able to help you? Have you talked to Msantos in Winnipeg? I have never heard him complain about this issue! He works and lives in a similar climate. It sounds to me as if you have something amiss! If this was a issue with the Civic it would not be Canada's best selling Auto for the last 10 years or so! Check it out and get after Honda to correct your problem. Hal

Old 11-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Maybe the thermostat? If they go bad they can stick partially open, making for too much cooling on the highway. Symtom would be too cool a temperature indicated, after extended highway drive.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 11-15-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had to scrape ice from the inside of my window a couple times and this occurred because after my car has sat in the garage all day, I would have it sit outside overnight (my wife would rather her car be in the garage all night). I guess moisture would build up on the inside of the windows due the change in temperature and then would freeze overnight.

The windshield does tend to want to fog up more on the cold mornings. I just try not to breath.

Quick Reply: Buying used and concerned..mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands