HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Originally Posted by msantos
OUCH !!!

5W30 is not the ideal oil weight for the HCH-2. At best it should be regarded as a "temporary" substitute in case the recommended oil (0W20) is not available.

Cheers;

MSantos

I know 0W-20 is the recommended oil. Dealer does not carry this oil. They are worse. Use only 0W-40 which is thicker at higher temp. I guess they find easy way out... use only one type for all HONDAs.

Any way, I buy my own MOBIL 1 5W-30 which is by far the closest I could find to 0W-20. I do not need the WINTER ratings as temperature here is in the 80s F all year round.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Filters can be cleaned up, but who do you take it to? Most end up in the garbage.H

Old 02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you change your own oil, any gas station or recycle center is suppose to accept them.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid

I know 0W-20 is the recommended oil. Dealer does not carry this oil.
Wow, dealers - can't live with 'em, can't Live with 'em...

A dealer who doesn't carry 0W20? Unbelievable.

My dealer recommends I change oil every 3,000 miles. Talk about Old School (and big profits for him). I just shake my head, give him the old "you are an idiot" look, and walk away....

Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Your HCH calculates when it's due for an oil change, by keeping track of total RPMs. Drive it hard, change oil sooner. Drive it like grandma, change oil later.

Why try to second-guess it? Change the oil when the readout goes to 5%, and use Mobil 1.

what readout are you referring to? I do not find such feature in my car. Checked the Car Manual... did not mention anything like that available. which button to press?

I am living in Singapore and my hybrid is made in Japan.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM

hmmm, sounds like there might be some differences between Japanese and US versions.

On my US version there are two buttons on the left side of the dashboard, just below the vent. The left button is SEL/RESET. The right button is for switching the display between temp and mpg-l/km. Each time you push the SEL/RESET button it scrolls the display just below the tach (odometer, outside temp, trip A, trip B, oil life %). The oil life % display counts down from 100% in increments of 10% after it has been reset (following an oil change). When it gets below 20%, it begins counting down in increments of 5%. Also, everytime you turn the key on, the display comes up automatically telling you that you are at 15% (or below). It is somewhat annoying, because you have to push the SEL/RESET button every time to scroll back to what you want to see (trip A, for instance). This message also gives you a "service needed" icon (a wrench), along with the recommended service (A-1, for instance).

Long explanation, but does that help?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

I see... thanks Bill.

There is really a difference here! I have got the 2 buttons you mentioned here. As for the SEL/RESET, I do not get the oil life %.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by Harold
Filters can be cleaned up, but who do you take it to? Most end up in the garbage.H
We are fortunate here in San Jose that the local garbage/recycler accepts used motor oil and filters. They even give you a plastic bag for the filter and a jug for the oil. I just set them out with the garbage can and they pick it all up.

Anywhere else, you can take your oil and filter to any oil change place , repair shop or parts store and they will take the oil and recycle it for you.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid
I see... thanks Bill.

There is really a difference here! I have got the 2 buttons you mentioned here. As for the SEL/RESET, I do not get the oil life %.
Interesting. How does your vehicle give you maintenance reminders? Or does it not give you those?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

No Oil Change reminders. No maintenance schedule reminders... so far. I managed to drive 5000+ km only. Will see if it beeps at 10k km.

Quick Reply: Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands