HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The Curse of the Fuel Cap Message

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default The Curse of the Fuel Cap Message

I am getting the "Check Fuel Cap" message again.

This issue has been discussed in this forum before but now it's become a recurring problem.

I'm at 6000 miles now and the problem occurred previously around 3500 miles. I read the Honda Service Bulletin about the problem after speaking with the dealer and, as promised, the message disappeared after 30-40 ignition cycles. However, the dealer couldn't (wouldn't?) answer my question regarding whether this would be a chronic problem with the car or not.

The only commonality I can find between the two instances is that they both manifested after the car had been parked all day in the garage on extremely hot (for Massachusetts) days.

I have to reset the display ever time I start the car, which is really annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem occur more than once?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The Curse of the Fuel Cap Message

Haven't had it at all, even when the car sits outside on Southern summer days.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

It is happening to me right now. It has been extremely hot here in Pittsburgh and the fuel cap message keeps coming on. It is absolutely driving me nuts. Any assistance as to this stupid problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I assume you guys are securing the cap properly... 3 clicks?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:50 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

It's been in 90's where I live for over three months, and I haven't had this problem.
M-F I park outside at work no shade, so my HCH is always hot.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
I assume you guys are securing the cap properly... 3 clicks?
Absolutely. 3 clicks, 4 clicks - it does not matter. I have about 8000 miles on the car, and this is the first time that this has happened. The gas cap warning has been on for about 450 miles.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I am always sure to tighten to at least 3 clicks.

This issue has been discussed in the forum before:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...sage.6890.html

The problem is that it comes back, which I can now verify. This could potentially be a very annoying problem over the life of the car.

Here is what the 2005 Honda Service News had to say about the problem:

NOTE: This article applies to ’05–06 Accords,’06 Civics, ’05–06 CR-Vs, ’05–06 Elements, ’05–06 Odysseys, ’05–06 Pilots, ’06 Ridgelines,and ’06 S2000s.

If a vehicle’s fuel fill cap is loose or missing, and the ECM/PCM detects an VAP system leak whenit runs the EVAP monitor, the CHECK FUEL CAP message appears on the information display whenthe engine is started. (On ’06 Odyssey Touring models and future Honda models, it’s the TIGHTEN FUEL CAP message.) A temporary DTC is also stored in the ECM/PCM’s memory. If this happens, there’s really no need for the owner to bring the vehicle in for service. All he or she has to do is shut off the engine and make sure the fuel fill cap is in place and it’s properly tightened (it’s one or three clicks, depending on what’s written on the cap). Although the owner can cycle the message from the display with the reset button (the actual button name varies by model), the temporary DTC that’s setting the message is still there. This means the message never really goes away. It can be cycled back with the reset button, and it comes on again if the ignition switch is cycled or the engine is restarted. This message keeps coming back until the EVAP monitor runs again and it finds no EVAP system leak. This could take several days, even weeks, depending on how often the vehicle is driven. If, when the next EVAP monitor runs, the cap wasn’t tightened or there’s another EVAP system leak detected, the MIL comes on and the message goes off. A permanent DTC is now stored in the ECM/PCM’s memory. If the owner now tightens the cap, the MIL should go off after the next EVAP monitor run, yet, this could still take days or weeks. If the MIL is still on after that monitor run, then it’s time to bring the vehicle in for service. If the vehicle comes into your shop with the fuel cap message or the MIL on, make sure the fuel fill cap is in place and properly tightened. Record the DTC, then clear it with the HDS, and run the EVAP system function test. If there’s still a problem, press on with normal troubleshooting.

Of course, the advisory says nothing about what could have caused the problem or if it's likely to be chronic.