HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT fluid

Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default CVT fluid

The time is coming soon for my CVT service. I always do my own service, but out of curiosity I went to the local dealer and asked how much. They said they normally only drain and fill once... I asked about the 3x drain and fill the owner's manual recommends. They said it isn't necessary. Hogwash. There's got to be a reason why Honda recommends this (more than just selling fluid!!!). I then went to the parts department to buy the nine quarts of fluid I need. They want $9 per qt for this stuff !!!

Does anyone know where I can buy the genuine Honda CVT fluid in So. Cal for a more reasonable cost? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT fluid

Where is the three times flush of the CVT fluid in the Owner's Manual? I've heard this mentioned before, but it was coming from the Service Manual as a special procedure, and only if required; That's an entirely different thing.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:18 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
T...They said they normally only drain and fill once... I asked about the 3x drain and fill the owner's manual recommends. They said it isn't necessary. Hogwash. There's got to be a reason why Honda recommends this (more than just selling fluid!!!)...
Jeff;

Unless you are experiencing CVT related anomalies, I believe they are correct. Honda does recommend the 3x drain and refill for suspect instances, targeted service bulletins, or as part of the regular "burnish" routine.

However, if you service your vehicle regularly and never exceed the service window interval for the HATF replacement then there's absolutely no need to spend extra money and resources.
You still may wish to do it and if so, the more power to you. It certainly won't hurt the car, that's for sure.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

+1 on the single change.

The only time that a 3X fill flush would come into play is if the transmission had not been serviced regularly or if it had experienced a problem requiring repair.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Well, I haven't checked the paper owner's manual, but I do often use the electronic one I downloaded a long time ago. On page 196, it states the following:

"To thoroughly flush the transmission, the technician should drain and refill it with Honda CVT fluid, then drive the vehicle for a short distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time. Insert the dipstick all the way back into the transmission securely. The transmission should be drained and refilled with new fluid when this service is indicated by a maintenance message on the information display. If you are not sure how to add fluid, contact your dealer."

I'm making the assumption that there is only one type of transmission service message which can be displayed... and therefore, the 3x drain-fill procedure is indeed the one Honda wants us to do. Please let me know if there is any other notation within the owner's manual about just doing a single (1x) drain and fill.

If I can avoid the 3x drain, that would be wonderful!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:28 PM

hmmmmm... So much for saving oil.... 3x flush.....

Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Jeff,
I mail ordered mine from Bernardi with some other items. The cost for each qt. was approximately $6.00. When you factor in shipping it was cheaper to order X amount of items from them then pay the outrageous sales tax we pay here in Taxafornia. Plus the money that is spent on shipping directly benifits a business and not the governments pockets!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Jeff. I really think if you have not over worked the CVT and burnt the oil, or have had bearings burn up.If the oil has got really hot you should be able to smell it. If none of these problems ,you should only require three qts. of oil. I really don't like this system. You can flush it ten times and still have old oil in your CVT. But I have not heard of anyone that has come up with a sulution to a poor design? H

Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

So, say that you do decide to fill and drain 3 times, do you have to use brand new ATF each time, or do you drain the original ATF, discard it, fill with new ATF, run it awhile, drain it, and then fill it with the same new ATF again 3 times? Or do you fill it with brand new ATF each time? And what about the drained oil? It is for practical purposes fresh oil, so can you save it to use again at the next ATF change?

I have not been able to find anyone that deals with Honda CVT transmissions on a regular basis to confirm that the 3x fill/drain is proper for a routine 30K service. Other than the owners manual are there any other credible sources that suggest a 3x fill/drain?

Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM

If you get the service done by a Honda dealership, they invoice you for what they use. If your CVT transmission fails, you are protected since they informed you in writing (invoice) they are only going to use 1x change.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CVT fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands