HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

DIY: LED install

Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default DIY: LED install

Hey everyone. I got some LEDs the other day and installed them. I took pix in case anyone wants to know how.
Well I just tried to post this and it didn't work. Turns out I can only put 20 pix per post. I put links to a few of them, so if you want to see, you'll have to click.
These are the LEDs I got:
3 Festoon Dome 31mm High Power LED (Xenon White) Bulb [for the interior lights]
http://picasaweb.google.com/giantque...02111500438066

2 T10 W5W Flank High Power LED (White) Wedge Bulbs [for the license plate]
(note how they are angled, so the LED points directly down at the plate)
http://picasaweb.google.com/giantque...02394968279858

1 168 194 Wide Angle 12 LED (Xenon White) Wedge Bulb [for the trunk light]
http://picasaweb.google.com/giantque...02214579653266

Replacing the front interior lights is a fairly simple thing to do. Simply use a screwdriver (coated in duct tape, so you don't scratch your car) to pry off the plastic coverings.

From there, simply remove the old bulb and throw in the new one.

(old LED in place)

(new LED in place)
Before:
(oops. i forgot to take a before picture. I think you know what it looks like though)
After:

Comparison:

(note the gardener on the far right )

Same process with the rear dome light:
before:

after:

To do the license plate, you need to remove the trunk lid covering. There are four clips that you can get off with a phillips-head screwdriver.
Once you remove those, it will look like this:

Remove the wires from the light, by pressing the two side clamps.
Remove the housing from the car, by pressing the other two side clamps.

Old Vs New Light:

Simply pull the old bulb out of the housing and put the new one in.
Here are some comparisons:

and of course the final product:

The trunk light was probably the hardest, because I encountered a few unexpected errors.
The trunk light is fairly simple to remove, but I have heard of a lot of people breaking it so be careful!!! I took a flathead screwdriver and pried it out from the right (passenger) side. After that, you can disconnect the wire and take the whole housing out of the trunk.

The first problem was that the new bulb didn't fit. The bulb housing is specific to the little incandescent bulb. It was no problem though. I simply took some pliers and adjusted the thin-metal housing. (and by adjusting I mean broke off the pieces that center the little bulb). For you visual learners, here's an after pic:

And here is the 9 LED bulb in the housing:

The second issue I had was that once installed, the light didn't shine straight down. It shined in all directions. It was so bright, that light was coming up where my center brake light is. To solve this, I took some aluminum foil and made a reflector. Not only did it stop the extra light from shining through, it also made the trunk brighter.
before:

after (no foil):

after (with foil):

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 12-09-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: DIY: LED install

Cool

I need to do this to our 2004

Old 12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Alright.. this got my attention !

How about I design a signature for you for free.... I purhcase the LED's, and then you come and show me how to install these little bad boys.

It will be a Hybrid LED gathering. I can even offer some "Tortas".. if you dont know what it is, you will be in for a treat.

... So if I am correct, all of the applications are a straight plug and play ?

Last edited by Black Ice; 12-11-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Yah. They are plug and play. Easy as pie to change out. If you can do a light bulb in your house, you can do one in your HCH.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Where did they come from?

That is cool!
I started searching online and found a bunch of less than helpfull websites full of thousands of bulbs. I am positive that I would end up with some of the wrong ones.

on that note - do you have a good resource for these?

hopefully a one stop shop.

Thanks for posting this!
Bo

Old 12-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One must wonder why Honda did not install LED bulbs in the first place in the Civic Hybrid. It would make the most sense because it uses less energy to power and as you pointed out in this DIY they could use plug and play LEDs so they wouldn't have to fabricate new light housings...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The reason that LEDs are not found on less expensive automobiles is simple, cost of goods. An LED bulb might cost a manufacturer $.75, while an incandescent bulb costs $.05. Add that up at 10 bulbs a car and over a million cars, and that is a chunk of change that could be going to profit.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would suggest that priority be given to replacing incandescent with LED bulbs first in the lights that are on more of the time, e.g., license plate light.

I recently replaced the bulbs in our Kenmore vacuum cleaner with LEDs from http://www.superbrightleds.com -- more for longevity than power savings. It's not as though I run the vacuum cleaner more than a couple of hours per year.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 AM

^thats true. The reason I only did the license plate lights is because I wanted to make sure that the LEDs would be bright enough and I didnt want to get the light bulb out warning. I am looking into led parking lights brake lights reverse lights and side markers. Has anyone had any experiences with these?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
^thats true. The reason I only did the license plate lights is because I wanted to make sure that the LEDs would be bright enough and I didnt want to get the light bulb out warning. I am looking into led parking lights brake lights reverse lights and side markers. Has anyone had any experiences with these?
When ever you decide to make that purhcase, count me in !!

I am still waiting for the LED's to come in that you advised me to order. I do not mind purchasing more LED's for the remainder of the areas you mentioned.

The part that I think is quite funny, is that all my interior lights are extreemly bright already. I am wondering if they have LED's in them already. It was a used vehicle... ??? I should just pop off the covers and find out myself.

My interior lights look somewhat like the images you have shown with your LED's installed. I will try and take a picture of my "stock" ones to show you what I am talking about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: LED install

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands