GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Honda Motor Company/Acura > Honda Civic Hybrid > HCH II-Specific Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006+

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid
Default Efficacy of grid charger on failing IMA battery

Hello

I'm staying at a buddies place in suburban Detroit while here at the NAIAS. He is a (lithium ion) battery engineer and his firm does hybrid battery module development/testing for the industry.

Regarding the ability for the home built grid chargers (described in detail in other threads) to help save a failing IMA module, he really feels that long term all one will really do is get more assist out of the garage (freshly re-charged) until the module reaches its neutral point and react like it used to.

What I'd like to know is how are the folks (on this forum) who have constructed the grid charger and use it on some sort of regular schedule, how is it working out?

I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of opinions about the efficacy of these grid charges weeks and months down the road.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

2008 Prius
My daily driver since 27 Jan 2012
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: HCH 11 2006/ Prius 2006
Default Re: Efficacy of grid charger on failing IMA battery

They must be happy ,as they have been very quiet of late. They seem to be very happy with the results. Almost sounds like they are getting the sticks equalized with the good sticks. One stick with lower charge is what causes the re-calibrations? H H
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

Quote:
They must be happy ,as they have been very quiet of late.
Harold, sure sounds like it......
I heard at the Hyundai booth at NAIAS this morning that any new hybrid of theirs will have a lifetime warranty, not affected by age and/or mileage........

2008 Prius
My daily driver since 27 Jan 2012
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: HCH 11 2006/ Prius 2006

Yes that is true. For some reason people seem to worry about battery's not lasting. Probably Honda is causing this to happen. Lots of not so happy Honda folks out their! To me it is no different than any other part on a car.We are out a lot more if a transmission fails! It is just another thing that can fail! I really like my Hybrids. Very interesting to drive and the results can be fantastic. We just have to slow down a bit and enjoy life! H
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM

Tags
06, 2006, 2007, battery, car, charge, charger, civic, efficacy, grid, honda, hybrid, ima, insight, warranty