HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Efficacy of grid charger on failing IMA battery

Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Efficacy of grid charger on failing IMA battery

Hello

I'm staying at a buddies place in suburban Detroit while here at the NAIAS. He is a (lithium ion) battery engineer and his firm does hybrid battery module development/testing for the industry.

Regarding the ability for the home built grid chargers (described in detail in other threads) to help save a failing IMA module, he really feels that long term all one will really do is get more assist out of the garage (freshly re-charged) until the module reaches its neutral point and react like it used to.

What I'd like to know is how are the folks (on this forum) who have constructed the grid charger and use it on some sort of regular schedule, how is it working out?

I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of opinions about the efficacy of these grid charges weeks and months down the road.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Efficacy of grid charger on failing IMA battery

They must be happy ,as they have been very quiet of late. They seem to be very happy with the results. Almost sounds like they are getting the sticks equalized with the good sticks. One stick with lower charge is what causes the re-calibrations? H H

Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

They must be happy ,as they have been very quiet of late.
Harold, sure sounds like it......
I heard at the Hyundai booth at NAIAS this morning that any new hybrid of theirs will have a lifetime warranty, not affected by age and/or mileage........

Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes that is true. For some reason people seem to worry about battery's not lasting. Probably Honda is causing this to happen. Lots of not so happy Honda folks out their! To me it is no different than any other part on a car.We are out a lot more if a transmission fails! It is just another thing that can fail! I really like my Hybrids. Very interesting to drive and the results can be fantastic. We just have to slow down a bit and enjoy life! H