HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Extra Cells or an entire Pack + Thank you + recap of my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Extra Cells or an entire Pack + Thank you + recap of my car

I'd like to start out with a warm thank you to this entire site where I've gained for the most part a lot of useful information over the years on my 2008 Civic Hybrid. That being said I'd recommend not trying anything other than Genuine Honda CVT fluid contrary to a thread or two talking about Eneos CVT fluid working for them... ask me how I know

anyway Thanks. I successfully reconditioned a battery I ordered through car-part.com from Florida that was pulled from a 2007 HCH with 70k miles with no error lights. As is/How is. It was pulled in July and sat in a warehouse until I received the beast in November. I then disassembled and reconditioned the cells (2 groups of 6 were low) using an iCharger 106B+.
I installed the battery last week and IMA light is gone and it's going through SoC smoothly now vs recal's and instant full and instant dead.

(got this for a steal, I talked them into 200 for the pack + 75 for shipping) Working so far/last 500 miles.
---------------------------------------

Extra Cells
I'm in the process of discharging and then form charging (and documenting the Mah out/in) each of the 11 assemblies from my old pack. I have an entire pack to reassemble if needed and I'm wondering if anyone here would like to arrange to buy the extra pack I have or just some of the sticks. I can reassemble it as a whole assembly to go in a car if needed otherwise I can recondition your old unit if you send it to me

--------------------------------------
Lessons learned
pulstar spark plugs are junk, multiple units will fail simultaneously at about 47k miles of use and damage the catalytic converter. company will send you a check for 200 and say thanks for playing.
(that and the cvt fluid, seriously don't use anything but Honda.. I do my own fluid flushes every 30k)

Current Stats:
199k miles original owner
at 106k miles the passenger inner tie rod began showing signs of wear, replaced with moog part and all is well
198k miles the pads and rotors are warn to the point of needing replacement
will replace with slotted rotors and OE ceramic pads
besides oil changes and tire changes, rest is stock. tranny fluid 3qt drain/fill every 30k

Made the following modifications:
relocated 12v battery to trunk and swapped in a group 24r
installed CAI in front
installed a heavy duty transmission cooler
(also there is a replaceable transmission filter on the car that Honda will sell for about 15 bucks, they're just too pigheaded to acknowledge it exists half the time..)
installed Water/Meth injection system (only used in summer)
blue LED's in dome lights (Ebay special) and foot wells etc.

next up is to install an exhaust cutout post cat

if anyone has questions or wants to talk performance/economy mods send a message or reply to this multi subjected thread (hope the mods don't mind)

if you want the batteries or want to talk how to repair them etc. let me know also .

Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Extra Cells or an entire Pack + Thank you + recap of my car

Hi, great to hear you fixed your ****
Blems. My HCH2 is also with IMA light. Where are you located? How can I contact you for more info.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ecocommuter
I'd like to start out with a warm thank you to this entire site where I've gained for the most part a lot of useful information over the years on my 2008 Civic Hybrid. That being said I'd recommend not trying anything other than Genuine Honda CVT fluid contrary to a thread or two talking about Eneos CVT fluid working for them... ask me how I know

anyway Thanks. I successfully reconditioned a battery I ordered through car-part.com from Florida that was pulled from a 2007 HCH with 70k miles with no error lights. As is/How is. It was pulled in July and sat in a auto parts warehouse until I received the beast in November. I then disassembled and reconditioned the cells (2 groups of 6 were low) using an iCharger 106B+.
I installed the battery last week and IMA light is gone and it's going through SoC smoothly now vs recal's and instant full and instant dead.

(got this for a steal, I talked them into 200 for the pack + 75 for shipping) Working so far/last 500 miles.
---------------------------------------

Extra Cells
I'm in the process of discharging and then form charging (and documenting the Mah out/in) each of the 11 assemblies from my old pack. I have an entire pack to reassemble if needed and I'm wondering if anyone here would like to arrange to buy the extra pack I have or just some of the sticks. I can reassemble it as a whole assembly to go in a car if needed otherwise I can recondition your old unit if you send it to me

--------------------------------------
Lessons learned
pulstar spark plugs are junk, multiple units will fail simultaneously at about 47k miles of use and damage the catalytic converter. company will send you a check for 200 and say thanks for playing.
(that and the cvt fluid, seriously don't use anything but Honda.. I do my own fluid flushes every 30k)

Current Stats:
199k miles original owner
at 106k miles the passenger inner tie rod began showing signs of wear, replaced with moog part and all is well
198k miles the pads and rotors are warn to the point of needing replacement
will replace with slotted rotors and OE ceramic pads
besides oil changes and tire changes, rest is stock. tranny fluid 3qt drain/fill every 30k

Made the following modifications:
relocated 12v battery to trunk and swapped in a group 24r
installed CAI in front
installed a heavy duty transmission cooler
(also there is a replaceable transmission filter on the car that Honda will sell for about 15 bucks, they're just too pigheaded to acknowledge it exists half the time..)
installed Water/Meth injection system (only used in summer)
blue LED's in dome lights (Ebay special) and foot wells etc.

next up is to install an exhaust cutout post cat

if anyone has questions or wants to talk performance/economy mods send a message or reply to this multi subjected thread (hope the mods don't mind)

if you want the batteries or want to talk how to repair them etc. let me know also .
I've been planning to modify and install a CAI in my car too. Just can't find the YT tutorial my friend gave me yesterday. I'm wondering how much time it would take me to do it by myself.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Cai?

Yt?

Old 02-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

What did you do to relocate the battery?