HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Factory Oil Grade

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Factory Oil Grade

Anyone knows?

The grade of the oil used in a brand new HCHII rolling off the factory?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Re: Factory Oil Grade

A good question to which a number of us would like to know the answer. Who makes it, what viscosity and what additives. It should not be a major commercial secret but nobody has yet learned it!

Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

There are companies that analyze your used motor oil, just send them a sample and they will send you back a highly detailed analysis.

My highly uneducated guess is that the so called "break in oil" is very similar to the the 0w20 motor oil you can buy over the parts counter of any Honda dealership, perhaps with a higher level of "lubricants and protectants."

Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Yes Yes. But what is the truth and why should n't we know it? Surely someone who reads this site can find a definitive answer! No more guesses.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Check Mark's info (s/n Green and Blue) in this thread, lots of info there!

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...+OIL+SYNTHETIC

Old 08-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Incidentally, I'm now at about 300 miles since I did my first oil change. I filled it with Mobil 1 instead of the Honda oil. I've seen no change in MPG so far.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

I'm at a Honda dealership now getting my HCHII serviced (recall) and I looked at the oil that they sell for the HCHII. It is a blended oil (synthetic and petroleum). IMHO it isn't important to know what the break-in oil is unless it is just out of curiosity. Has anyone else found any 0W-20 oils other than Honda and Mobile-1?

Old 08-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bernball
I'm at a Honda dealership now getting my HCHII serviced (recall) and I looked at the oil that they sell for the HCHII. It is a blended oil (synthetic and petroleum). IMHO it isn't important to know what the break-in oil is unless it is just out of curiosity. Has anyone else found any 0W-20 oils other than Honda and Mobile-1?
Is there a recall? I just bought my HCHII last week, so I'm not up on everything. I'm taking it in to the dealership on monday for an alarm and bass system install. Maybe I get a recall repair while it is there.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by funkybrunk
Is there a recall?
Only thing I'm aware of is the correction for the "62 mile" bug... a problem where the MPG meters reset every 62 miles.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We took our HCH2 in to the dealer (Bay Ridge in Brooklyn) on Wednesday for its first oil change, and they put in 5W20 without telling us. I called the service manager and when he got back to me, he said that there's a shortage of 0W20 from Honda and he doesn't know how long it will take. (He did apologize that no one asked us if the substitution is okay.)

Honda does say you can use 5W20, and it's still warm enough here that I'm not in a panic, but as soon as they've got the 0W20 in, I'll get it changed.

Quick Reply: Factory Oil Grade

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands