HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Help! Clicking Sound behind steering wheel 2006 Civic Hybrid

Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help! Clicking Sound behind steering wheel 2006 Civic Hybrid

Hi,

I bought my 2006 civic hybrid brand new and starting around 2008 i started to hear a clicking sound coming from behind the steering wheel. The sound is very electronic and sounds like a computer hard drive or clicking mouse, which continues for various amounts of time, when the car is in motion. It seems to have a mind of it's own, and I can't pinpoint what triggers it. What I do know is that I can stop the sound by pulling or pushing on the steering wheel. However, this requires force and is distracting from driving! I have taken the car to the Honda dealership and one mechanic heard it but said he was unable to diagnose the sound. He wanted to charge me $100 to diagnose it plus whatever fees it would cost to fix it. I've been putting this off hoping the sound would go away but it's only getting worse. My car is out of warranty and has about 108,000 miles on it.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem is & how to fix it???? Thank you!!!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help! Clicking Sound behind steering wheel 2006 Civic Hybrid

That is a weird one. Don't here it in my 2006. If you listen to the radio can you still here it? Sounds like a flasher unit for the warning lights, but then that would not stop when you pull on the steering wheel.I would take the underbelly cover off and check for debris. Maybe a electronic sound device that will chase a mouse from your car, but then that would be a squeak sound ?
Cheers;

H

Old 04-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

I have a similar issue with my 2007. I wouldn't say mine is electrical but it is clicking kind of rattle. I can push or pull on the steering wheel to make it go away temporarily. I have not taken the cover off yet. I've felt around under the steering wheel but can't find the source, it must be under the cover.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Flying cars for ever...

I had something similar when the car was going in for a transmission fault. Nothing to do with the transmission fault - my wiring harness around the steering wheel had come loose and was rubbing/clicking when I turned the wheel. It never did it when the wheel was not turning because it was something on the wiring harness catching as the wheel turned.
The mechanic fastened the harness securely and it has never happened since, almost two years now.
Don't know if this could be your problem but, should be a nice cheap fix if it is.