HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HID Conversion, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default HID Conversion, anyone?

Hi Everyone:

Has anyone converted the headlight to the HID or Xenon light yet? Where can I get the conversion? Would HID conversion lower the FE?

Why Prius has HID option but HCH 2 does not?

Just Curious.

Thank you!

Old 08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: HID Conversion, anyone?

Can't say I have, and haven't heard of anybody who did. One problem you'll have to deal with if you go HID is replacing the entire headlight assembly to adapt to the much higher temperatures of those lights versus halogen. Not for the faint of heart, and such assemblies may not be available yet.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply.

I did convert my BMW 528 to HID. The only pain in that particular convertion is to add a capasitor to reduce the voltage signal to fool the on board computer so it won't spit out error signal.

I am so spoiled with the HID light intensity, the HCH 2 light seems soooo dim at night.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I did research on this yesterday. The HID's actually consume LESS power, 35 watts vs. the 55 the low beams put out on our HCH II. The installation CAN be tough depending on what system you buy. BUT, there are some NEW systems that come with a new ballast type system, and all you do is remove the old bulb, put in the new one (which will fit in the housing), hook the wire to the ballast, hook the other ballast wire to the plug that goes to the bulb, and mount or tie up the ballast somewhere, thats it. Pretty nice and easy. All for around 200 bucks a unit....not a bad deal....

Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you. Do you have a place or website that I can take a look at the unit?

Sincerely,

Old 08-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Most people don't bother to get the proper housing which is key for the correct light beam pattern. So just converting the light itself without the proper housing isn't the way to go. But you can always join the crowd that goes by the motto... well they did it, why can't I?

As for FE? Yikes... you think 15watts makes a difference? Please account for the extra weight you will be carrying.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Mongster
Hi Everyone:

Has anyone converted the headlight to the HID or Xenon light yet? Where can I get the conversion? Would HID conversion lower the FE?

Why Prius has HID option but HCH 2 does not?

Just Curious.

Thank you!

You may be able to source the parts directly from a Honda/Acura distributor. The canadian Acura CSX provides HID as a standard feature on their premium sedan and I know several folks who have added the CSX lighing to their 2006 Civics.

http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/CSX/Specifications

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 PM

The extra weight isn't that much. The ballasts don't weigh more than a pound each, and the wires can't weight more than like a pound or two for all of them. It will lower the amps from 9.16 to 5.83 amps. Saving 3 1/2 amps continuously at all times when the lights are on will have an impact.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by msantos
The canadian Acura CSX provides HID as a standard feature on their premium sedan and I know several folks who have added the CSX lighing to their 2006 Civics.
Interesting idea, but we should note that the headlight shape is different on the CSX than the U.S. Civic, so you'd have to get the Acura's front bumper cover, too.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Pimpin ain't easy!

I added HID's to my HCHII, it's pretty straight forward plug and play... I'll try to post up some pictures of them tonight....

I'm familiar w/using HID... Of course under the normal housing converting to HID w/produce a lot of light because of the bottom reflectors in the housing, therefore producing a ton of reflective light to oncoming traffic.. That's why it's better to use projector housing because of the light cuttoff in the housing. I've seen projector housing conversions on the web....

There was an issue the the Daytime Running Lights (supposedly). When i turn on the HID's one of the bulbs flicker during the warmup. Not sure if it's the bulb or because of the DRL. I've done research and found out that DRL are an issue when it comes to HID's. People disable the DRL by pulling out the fuse. Because of the DRL, there's not enough power to run the HID bulbs (supposedly) But since i like the DRL, i just decided to keep the fuse in and deal with the flickering.

I've seen several ways of hooking up HID's to halogen housings.... Some HID kits may be hooked up OEM light wire harness ->ballast->HID bulb. BUT because of the issue of the DRL, i've hooked up the HID with the wire harness provided from the battery -> oem wire housing -> ballast-> HID bulb. Therefore providing more power from the car battery to turn on the HID bulbs.

I have a hookup on the conversion kits if you're interested. I'll try my best to provide pictures of everything.

Last edited by felixdacat; 09-05-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion, anyone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands