HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Highway Mileage maxes out at 41MPG??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Highway Mileage maxes out at 41MPG??

Hi,
This is my first post on here. My girlfriend just got a 2009 HCH and I am doing the research to try and help her get better MPG. She drives about 50 miles a day on the freeway (maybe 6 of the 50 is city driving). She has had it about a month and fills it once a week usually.

My question is that she never seems to crack 41. I think she got 43 once. I keep hearing how the Civic hybrid does the best on the freeway, but why is she not getting 45+ like we were hoping? She does keep the A/C on ALL the time, although usually on a low setting. She likes the dry air it puts out.

I know there are a bunch of techniques to help mpg in the city, but most of them don't seem to apply to the freeway. The speed limit max is 60.

We would love to hit 50...is this possible? Would turning off the A/C help her? Thanks!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highway Mileage maxes out at 41MPG??

You've come to the right place to do your research. Spend some time reading through the other messages and I'm sure you will pick up some very useful tips.

Here are a few to get you started:

1. Pump up the tires to at least 36 psi. They're rated for 44, but that's harder than many like.
2. Be sure to keep the highway speed to no more than 60; 50-55 is even better, if possible.
3. Use gradual acceleration keeping the assist bars low and revs under 2000, whenever practical.
4. The car coasts very well and this can be further improved if you apply light pressure to the gas pedal to eliminate some or all of the green 'regen' bars.

Moderate A/C use should not have a huge impact on fuel economy. I am assuming you are living in a mild climate, however, cold temperatures will reduce FE significantly. The car is still very new. It will improve after broken-in.

As a bit of an experiment, yesterday I drove 50 miles on a secondary highway at 50 mph and returned home on the freeway at 70 mph. I got 53 mpg going and only 42 mpg returning. Along with the higher speed, the freeway has more hills; so both factors were having an impact.

My normal average for mixed urban driving is about 48 mpg. The best I ever get is in the lower 50s with the "right" conditions.

The Civic hybrid IMA system is very effective but it does require some driver retraining if you hope to realize its full potential.

Good luck to you both.

Cheers,

Roger

Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Enthusiast

^All good, also, it will help to stay out of assist as much as possible. Since she likes the ac this will be a very beneficial read. An article by MSantos...

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14151

Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Also a good read if you've not yet read it.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What does the drive look like? Is it hilly or flat? If it's flat (like pancake flat) the best thing to do is set the cruise at 60 or less and let the car do it's magic. With 40psi in the tires, she should be getting at least 45mpg at 60mph.

However, if there are any hills, the cruise control will make the car try really hard to maintain its speed on them--even if it burns all the oil Saudi Arabia to do it. I find this destroys my mileage. The best tip for hills is to go into them fast (if you're driving 60mph, try to start the hill at least going 65, maybe 70 if its big), and keep steady pressure on the gas as your speed bleeds down to say 50mph by the hill's crest.

On the way back down, let gravity bring you back up to speed and then use the glide mode. Take your foot off the gas while coasting until your instant mpg gauge shows 100mpg and the green bars of regen build. Once this happens, apply gas pressure lightly until all of the green bars go away, but not so much that you are using the assist. If I'm driving somewhere hilly (which is most of the time), I can get usually get around 60mpgs at ~60mph.

Keep in mind that the fall temps are going to hurt mileage. Even if it only gets down into the 50s and 60s, the car won't be operating as efficently as it would at 70+. Bring the temps down into the 30s and you will see a 20% difference vs. summer MPG on the same drive. The weather seems to hit hybrids a little harder than normal cars.

Turning off the AC would certainly help too. If it's a matter of comfort, then it might be worth the mpg hit for her to keep it on. However, you might suggest a little experimentation to see if it's really needed all the time every day. It's funny your GF likes dry air--if our car had a humidifier, my wife would have it blasting all the time!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My first couple of tanks were in the mid 40's... but I hit 50 after the 3rd tank and it's been 50+ ever since (over 50 tanks!!!). Basically, the engine has to break in and you have to learn how to drive it for maximum MPG.

With a lifetime average of about 52, I decided a few months ago that I was going to try for my first 60 MPG tank. I worked hard and got it. Then did it again and again. Now on my 4th 60+ tank!

Sounds like I have a similar ride. 50 miles a day, mostly on freeways. Be patient and keep working at it. You'll get there!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:14 PM
USAF Retired

What brings mileage down is heavy acceleration and climbing hills. How does she drive? Cruising at 60 MPH on our loop easily nets us 50+ MPG. Coming back from Arizona, we still get well over 42 MPG going 75-80 MPH. How about wind? Wind hurts mileage most of the time.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

I have recently moved to Florida after being in California (Sac) for many years. My new commute to work is 30 miles each way. It consists of a 6-mile stretch with no lights, speed limit is 45 but I do 55-60. Then turn onto US-1 for 23 miles. There are 8-10 traffic lights in that 22 mile stretch. The speed limit fluctuates from 40-55, and I usually do 55-65. Being it's Florida on the east coast, it is very flat. I am averaging 52mpg on this commute. I've had it as high as 55mpg. I don't normally use the A/C unless it's raining, and then only use it clear the fog off the windows. I don't use cruise control. My lifetime average for 30,000 miles over 18 months in my 07 HCH II is 48mpg. So it's very possible for your girlfriend to achieve 45-48 with the A/C on doing 60mph on the freeway.

On a side note, I drove from Sacramento, CA to Boca Raton, FL - 3,079 miles in 3 days with 6 fillups. Averaged 41.2mpg because I used the CC and averaged 78 mph! It's the fastest I've gone over a long period of time and the worst mileage I have ever got out of the car, and I can't even complain about it! The car was loaded down with moving boxes as well!

I am replacing my Dunlop SP31's in about a week and getting the rear camber problem fixed at the dealer. Hope to see better mileage after all that as well!

Last edited by AJR; 11-14-2008 at 01:38 PM.