HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Also is it much difference between charging each stick individually vs a grid charger?

Is 350mA charge a magical optimal number or is lower even better?

Anyone work with http://hybridautomotive.com/ ?

Last edited by nstarz; 12-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Me.

Ginormous difference.

Grid chargers charge at 350mA. It takes 24-32 hours to balance an empty HCH2 pack at that rate. Grid charging can be done in-car with a proper harness with minimal inconvenience. Full pack charging and discharging to progressively lower voltages can restore a pack in a manner similar to a stick-level refurb. It requires a lot of monitoring and time.

Stick charging can be done as pairs or as sticks in the HCH2. Depending on your chargers, it can be done fast, or it can take some time. They can be programmed for automatic cycling at different speeds and levels, which is the principal advantage - automation. Additionally, stick testing can clearly identify bad sticks that are bringing a whole pack down. Replace that stick, and you've got a pack that performs much better.

IMHO, ALL Honda hybrid owners with NiMH battery packs should have a grid charger and use it quarterly (or sooner if dictated by need) to minimize cell imbalance and maximize the life of their battery.

Steve

Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Yes, it's magical. It's about C/18, so it almost guarantees you won't damage the strongest cells while trying to get the lagging cells topped off. It minimizes heat generation as well. It also happens to be the current for popular LED constant current power supplies that can be adapted for use in grid chargers.

Hybrid Automotive makes a great charger. I've recommended them a few times. Folks over at Insight Central sing his praises. He's a big contributor over there.

Steve

Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks.

I didn the stick level charging. So I am not sure about spending another $500 for a grid charger yet. I have two battery set and 4 pairs of extra sticks.

When the rain dies down I will see how my original batteries are. (@105,000miles).

For future reference if I need an 8AMP
http://greentecauto.com/hybrid-batte...006-2011-8-amp @
$2,251.00
WITH RETURN OF YOUR OLD BATTERY

48 Month, Unlimited Mileage Warranty
8.0AMP 7.2 Volts. All cells balanced and tested before we ship
FREE Shipping*
Ready-to-install direct replacements – no programming required!
Your replacement hybrid battery pack includes a working charge controller and relays and cells as a complete package and will arrive in a charged state ready to be installed
Re-engineered with upgraded materials (where possible)
Completely remanufactured and tested

http://hybridrevolt.com/catalog/Hond...tery-2006-2008
+200 for 3 year warranty
This battery is upgraded with BRAND NEW 8.0 amp hour MATCHED and BALANCED cells, with the rest of the case being thoroughly tested and repaired as necessary. These new cells have been engineered to provide 40% better performance while remaining cooler when compared to a stock pack. While other vendors may sell a battery with similar cells, we highly doubt any have the tools or experience to build a matched and balanced battery pack. We began our business in 2008 and we use our years of experience to build you the best battery pack money can buy. Don't trust your money to a business that has only been around for a year or two, choose us and know that we will be here in the future if there is ever any problem. Packs are in stock for immediate shipping!
This is an advance replacement with a $500 core deposit added to the cost of the battery pack. This allows you to receive your battery pack sooner, replace it, and then return your undamaged pack for the core refund.

We give you the POWER to choose! Now select the warranty that fits your needs. This pack is priced with a 1 year, fully transferable warranty with NO MILEAGE LIMIT. You may also select to add a SECOND or THIRD year for $100 per year! Please see warranty page for details of warranty.

Local installation is available at our shop. If you choose local pickup or installation, we will contact you to set up an appointment.

WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD! We feel confident that our new batteries are the best money can buy. However, if you find a similar new battery for sale at a lower price, give us the chance to beat that price. Just use the "Contact us" link on the left and send us the details. (Offer only applies to new batteries being sold by a hybrid battery retailer and must be advertised on their website. Product / price must be verified and approved by Hybrid ReVolt.)

Old 12-16-2014, 07:17 PM

You can build your own grid charger for less than $100. That's what I did.

In my mind there are only two real choices for batteries... Bumblebee and Hybrid Revolt.

EDIT: I found some new LED power supplies that eliminate the need for two of the fixed voltage power supplies. Cost can be close to $50 or so after shipping:

Shopping cart:
http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager...sID=6c19b570d9

Last edited by S Keith; 12-16-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:41 PM

The shopping cart I linked includes:

Copper clad board for mounting
25K Ohm resistor for tricking the PWM fan controller
12V Power supply to drive in-car fan
2X 28-100V constant current LED power supplies for charging battery (in series will provide 56-200V @ 350mA)

You should probably put diodes and fuses in it to be safe, but I didn't.

You'll need stuff like alligator clips and an old computer A/C power cable you can cut the end off, but you can probably find that stuff laying around, right?

The extra $400+ you pay Hybrid Automotive is the convenience of not having to do this yourself or devise a means of installation and connection. Their unit is a piece of work. Mine is a hunk of crap with some components in common (mean well power supplies).

Last edited by S Keith; 12-16-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Man, I need a lot of guide before I can think about that.

https://i.imgur.com/MHD7UOn.png Screenshot of the Shopping Cart just in case the URL expires or change.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 PM

It's intimidating, but it's really easy. The components I linked are even less work than Mike D's original design at 99mpg.com.

EDIT: Added a picture of my "elaborate" setup.

I added the little voltmeter. The new version doesn't have the 3 cages on the left and the white box in front. Instead, only has the two white boxes of similar size and the one cage on the right. Wiring is simplified and build time is way less.

Yes, that's a cheap extension cord that's been cut in half and flipped around

Attached Thumbnails How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?-imag0342.jpg  

Last edited by S Keith; 12-16-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am at 6 months now on my re-conditioned/grid charged HCH-II battery. It stays mostly 6 bars or higher, and never below 4 bars. The acceleration is like when the car was new. 153K miles. If it wasn't for grid charging, I would have gotten rid of this car a while ago. Can't handle the behavior and power loss when battery is imbalanced!

Quick Reply: How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands