HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many miles on your original IMA battery with (IMA light on)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default How many miles on your original IMA battery with (IMA light on)

Hey...
I see an old topic about the same question, but I want to know about whether it's with the IMA light on (Diagnostic code : Battery Module Deterioration) or not ?

My HCH 2006 now with 76000 miles , IMA & malfunction light come on from 1 year ago and the mileage was 61000 miles..

So my car run with this problem for 1 year and 15000 miles, no significant difference on the average MPG before & after the problem.

Don't ask me why I didn't replaced my IMA battery under-warranty cuz my local Honda dealer doesn't support HCH and I brought my own imported from USA.

I'm just wondering how long it's possible to use my car before I need to replace it .....

Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How many miles on your original IMA battery with (IMA light on)

We bought our '07 used at ~22k miles, around ~41k symptoms became very noticeable of IMA battery deterioration and now at ~44k the car is almost undriveable - still no IMA/DTC codes yet though. Fingers crossed that letting the car sit for a few months will be the push it needs to be below 10% capacity (the limit Honda refers is the threshold for IMA code / warranty replacement). I didn't bother to have Honda test our battery for $85 if they already said they wouldn't replace w/o a DTC code for IMA, but I would estimate I have around 20% of the original capacity.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drabood
I'm just wondering how long it's possible to use my car before I need to replace it .....
Sorry, to answer your question though:

You can probably ride on a near-dead IMA battery for a long time until its so bad that the computer gives up on / can't do DC/DC charging anymore (I don't know how that process works).

I drove our '07 HCH-II for several weeks with IMA shut-off while Honda was ordering/replacing the BCM on an unrelated incident to battery deterioration.

As long as IMA still charges the 12V battery, you can drive the car forever like that. It is just incredibly sluggish from a dead stop and only gets 32-35 mpg (in some cases, thats better MPG than with a dying battery and forced regen all the time!)

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

About 146,000 on 2006 Civic before the IMA light came on permanently. I purchased a code reader at AutoZone and it shows "P0A7F Replace Deteriorating Hybrid Battery Pack." I've received the class action lawsuit information and it appears the settlement was approved 3/16/12, but will not become effective until 5/14/12, if there are no appeals. I'm guessing this means I will not get the battery replaced by Honda because it failed before the final settlement date or beginning of the extended warranty. By the way, I refused to allow HM to upgrade my computer to the new hybrid system mapping during my last visit. I had heard of the mileage drop issues.
I telephoned the local Honda dealer this morning to see what they suggest I do about the battery failure. They said they will call me back.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 PM
06 Honda Civic Hybrid

I currently have 300,000 miles on my 2006 Honda civic hybrid. The P0A7F code came on at about 75,000 miles. I did not want to spend three or $4000 for a new battery so I decided to just drive as long as possible. It's 2016 and I'm still getting 50- 65 miles to the gallon even though my engine light is on. I'm wondering if I can go 500,000 miles before I change out the battery. And I bet I could…

Originally Posted by drabood
Hey...
I see an old topic about the same question, but I want to know about whether it's with the IMA light on (Diagnostic code : Battery Module Deterioration) or not ?

My HCH 2006 now with 76000 miles , IMA & malfunction light come on from 1 year ago and the mileage was 61000 miles..

So my car run with this problem for 1 year and 15000 miles, no significant difference on the average MPG before & after the problem.

Don't ask me why I didn't replaced my IMA battery under-warranty cuz my local Honda dealer doesn't support HCH and I brought my own imported from USA.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seansymons
I currently have 300,000 miles on my 2006 Honda civic hybrid. The P0A7F code came on at about 75,000 miles. I did not want to spend three or $4000 for a new battery so I decided to just drive as long as possible. It's 2016 and I'm still getting 50- 65 miles to the gallon even though my engine light is on. I'm wondering if I can go 500,000 miles before I change out the battery. And I bet I could…
Curious. Original warranty was 8yr/80K. Post settlement it was 9yr/96K or something like that.

Why didn't you get it replaced under warranty?

Old 03-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow! I have 182K on mine now. The IMA light came on at 155k in 2012. She still runs OK. Just accelerates like **** when there is no assist. Highway mileage is 40MPG+

Old 03-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

I have 285K miles on my original hybrid battery. The IMA light has gone on/off intermittently for the past year but I just keep driving it. I had to have the catalytic converter replaced recently, prior to which the IMA was on along with the Check Engine light. Both lights have been off for the past month since the Cat was replaced.

The car continues to run great even though it's approaching 300K. If the battery quit tomorrow, I'd seriously consider replacing the battery for $2K since there are no other problems with it.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Lucky, lucky man.

You might be due for an EGR port cleaning if it hasn't been done.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I've been lucky with this car.

Is there a good source for directions on doing the EGR port cleaning? I looked on Youtube but couldn't find anything specific to my HCH II.

Quick Reply: How many miles on your original IMA battery with (IMA light on)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands