HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA dead after reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA dead after reconditioning

2006 with 105k miles, reconditioned the battery sticks as I've done a few times before. Everything went well until I put the battery pack back in the car and started it up. It used the crank starter and got the 12V and IMA lights on the dash.

I'm getting 0V out of the battery pack, so for some reason, the main relay is not getting voltage and switching it on. Here's what I've checked:

Fuses under the hood and dash - good
Battery pack 100A fuse - good
Battery pack voltage to the main relay - 175V
Main relay operates with 12V input - yes
Precharge resistance - good, 40 Ohm
All connectors/cables condition - good

Anything else I can check? I've tried cycling the 12V battery a couple times as well. Appreciate any suggestions!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA dead after reconditioning

Did you turn the pack master back on?

You say 0V out of the battery pack ,but 175V pack voltage to the main relay?

Did you check voltage at the pack secondary contacts?

Did you get all the sticks back in right?

You need to confirm pack voltage with the switch on at the secondary terminals.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Responses in red:

Did you turn the pack master back on? Yes, I tried turning it off and on multiple times, confirmed that it was switching properly.

You say 0V out of the battery pack ,but 175V pack voltage to the main relay? Yes, from neg terminal to the main relay reads 175V, but neg terminal to pos terminal reads 0V.

Did you check voltage at the pack secondary contacts? Yes, first set of packs read 80V. Second set of packs read 95V.

Did you get all the sticks back in right? Yes, I reassembled the battery pack three times and double checked it each time to make sure they were oriented correctly

Think it could be the controller or one of the many other little relays? It's weird because I didn't touch anything else. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:40 AM

Did you check pack voltage at this negative and the positive terminal?

Old 06-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the confusion, I should have said, from main relay to the positive terminal is 175V.

Attached a sketch of what I'm getting:

Attached Thumbnails IMA dead after reconditioning-ima-battery.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 07:32 AM

Gotcha. That confirms the sticks are installed correctly. I haven't had to troubleshoot anything like this. When you activate the main relay with 12V, do you get full pack voltage at the terminals?

What DTC are you getting?

Do you hear the relay click when you turn the ignition on, and have you checked for momentary voltage?

Last edited by S Keith; 06-24-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, I put 12V to the relay, heard it click, and got full voltage at the terminals. Reverted back when I pulled the 12V. I haven't pulled the DTC codes yet, but I will this afternoon when I get my new OBD-II reader in the mail

Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 AM

Then it sounds like the car isn't supplying the required 12V. Did you check the output of the connector?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

I did not check the output of the connector, since I didn't have a handy way of checking it while it was plugged into the battery. However, I'm pretty sure it's 0V since there is no relay click when I turn on the ignition. The battery terminals read ~90V while car is on, and the voltage varies with engine speed. Switching the battery main on and off at this point did not change anything.

Just throwing out ideas here. The freshly charged pack was initially reading about 179V when I first put it in on Sunday, is this too high, could it have fried something? Could a bad temp sensor disable IMA (though they all had about the same resistance)? Is there a way to reset IMA besides unplugging the 12V battery for a minute?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 AM

~90V while car is on = at idle?

The variable voltage with engine speed at least says the IMA motor is providing current. The car should still be driveable with 12V charging occurring between 1500 and 3500 rpm or so. You should be able to confirm this with the red 12V battery dash light being on at idle and off in the 1500-3500rpm charging range.

I suspect the BCM. If there's a problem with the BCM, your code reader should report it. Until then, you should be able to run it with the IMA pack switched off provided you get 12V charging in the aforementioned range.

I've put packs in at higher voltages than that... in the 180s. No issues.

There probably is a way to reset the IMA besides 12V disconnect, but I don't know what it is.

The following fuses in the underhood box pertain to the IMA system:

1) Main Fuse (100A)
2) IG Main (50A)
23) Back Up (10A)

Auxiliary under-hood box:
61) +B IMA 2 (10A)
62) +B IMA (7.5A)

Quick Reply: IMA dead after reconditioning

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands