HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA Warning Light

While driving at about 50 mph today, the IMA, Battery and Check engine lights came on at the same time. The IMA assist was no longer functioning. Otherwise the car drove as normal.

I pulled the car to the side of the road to read the manual on what to do. I restarted the car and only the check engine light came on. The IMA assist was now working as normal. I drove about 50 feet and the other lights came on again and the IMA assist stopped working. I stopped the car and restarted. Once again, only the check engine light was on. I continued to drive and the problem did not reoccur.

I called my Honda dealer and they told me I should definitely bring the car in to be checked. I asked if it was okay to drive it and they said yes, as long as it drove as normal, which it did.

The IMA and Battery warning lights came on once more, the IMA assist stopped working, etc. I pulled to the side of the road, restarted the car, and it has been fine since except that the Check Engine light has rmained on. The car drives as normal and my gas mileage has stayed normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? The car is a 2007 with approximately 2000 miles on it. Until today, there have been no problems.

Thanks for any help you can give. I go to the Honda dealer on Wednesday and it would be helpful for me to know as much as possible before going.

Rich

Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Warning Light

A few quick questions. Was your battery fully charged when this happened? The only time my IMA has stopped working was when my battery was really low, after too much accelerating. Is there any chance you were running your radio, headlights, A/C full blast, and hitting the accelerator too much, anything that would drain the battery?

What were the road conditions? Weather? Gas tank full? Anything unusual when you were driving it, stops and starts, funny shudders or bumps? Just trying to get a better picture.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

My battery was charged (7 bars). I was running the ac, radio, and windshield wipers, not a new scenario. I shut radio and ac off after the first time, but as mentioned it did it again. Battery was charged 6 or 7 bars. I was not accelerating but coasting downhill the first time. It was raining, the gas tank was half full. Nothing unusual with how the car was driving.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
For my daughter

I suggest you to read this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10393

Pierre

Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Leah:
Unfortunately, this problem is quite common with the early 2007 production batch.

Rich:
The solution typically involves few days worth of downtime at the dealership. Once the position sensors are replaced your problem should be resolved.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Rich,

Yes, this happened to me a couple days before memorial day weekend. It was the Motor Rotor Position Sensor, which was bad. They said it was a fairly complex job. The part was on backorder. My dealership recommended that I not drive it too much (only to the dealer). It took about a week (waiting for part and for time to repair). I told them to take their time.

Make sure you are put in a rental car / loaner. We deserve it - buying a new car and having to take apart a lot of nuts and bolts. I would also recommend calling Honda's customer service.

Hope all goes well with your car! I have had mine back for a day...

Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default The Culprit

Here is the sensor ring, there is also a controller in the back that is replaced as well.

Once your dealer has the part, it is a one day in and out. We had to wait about 4 days to get ours fixed, but we got a new Accord during the wait.

When was your car manufactured? Ours was an October 06 car.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

Mine is an October 06 car, as well. I am thinking of asking Honda for an extended warranty as I am concerned about potential problems in the future.
Did any of you ask for anything from Honda?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

At the beginning of May, I bought me a 2007 HCH. I fell in love with it, and was enjoying everything about it. The look was great, the gas mileage, the navigation system, etc. I took it in on May 18th to get fog lights installed, daytime/night mirror w/ compass installed and the windows tinted (all done at the dealership). I picked the car up that Friday night and everything seemed okay. I got, home, did a few things, and then decided to go get something to eat. When I turned on the car, the Check Engine, Check Battery and Check IMA lights came on (the three lights that have been indicated on this post). I called the service tech and he said return to the dealership. I took it in (this was already at 9 pm) and he checked it out, found two errors, and was able to clear them and I went home.

On Saturday morning, everything seemed fine again, no lights, but at noon, the lights came on again. I took it back and they said leave it over the weekend so they can check it over on Monday. They gave me a loaner car (a Honda Accord and they told me to keep all gas receipts). On Tuesday, May 22nd they said they needed to replace the Motor Control Module (MCM). They replaced it, but kept getting the same lights. A week later, on Tuesday May 29th, they said they needed to replace the Resolver Sensor (rotor sensor). They got the part over-night, but need a tool to remove and replace it, which will not be in until this coming Friday.

From reading this thread (and on hybridcars.com) , it seems that I have the same problem. And I am wondering if once everyone got this issue cleared, what is fully resolved. I have only owned this car for now going on 5 weeks. 2 weeks in my possession and 3 weeks at the dealership.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

This appears to be a component/supplier/design issue, that was corrected in production.

After our repair, the car has been fine, in fact it is a little smoother, and the motor assist transition is less noticeable then before.

It appears that Honda caught the problem and is fixing them as they fail. Since the components in question are part of the emissions and the IMA system, they are already covered by the standard extended warranty that covers those parts.

Quick Reply: IMA Warning Light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands