HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

installing bumpers, side skirts reduce mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Question installing bumpers, side skirts reduce mileage?

My 06 civic hybrid is shipping from japan and i wanted to put some front and rear bumpers on it. side skirts maybe. Maybe even change the wack alloy wheels.

But the alloys are supposed to be 'lightweight' aluminium, and bodyside moulding is definately gonna add some weight, right?

Do you think it will reduce my mpg?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Re: installing bumpers, side skirts reduce mileage?

Chacun a son gout as they say in France. The wheels are unique and set you apart from the rabble, and as for the extra body bits they add weight which would seem to defeat the object? N'est ce pas? You sound like a military man/woman and I would say think before you act or do nothing until you have had the car for a couple of months. If you are like most of us you will be a changed man/woman when you start driving smoothly, quietly and more slowly - BS is not needed on such a car. BTW to date all HCHII's are made in Suzuka.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:16 AM

Yeah. It will.

If you don't plan on trying to get everything you can out of the car as far as MPG goes then you won't realy notice it. If you want to get the most MPG then it will limit you in the long run.

Here are pictures of someone that has the full body kit as well as different wheels.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1400

When he tries he can still do great with the FE.

I think the amount of air in your tires might be more important than the added weight.

Just remember though that what ever mpg you get with the mods, it would probably be slightly better without them.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Larger heavier wheels will lower mileage some, but if you try to get lightweight replacement wheels you can minimize the loss. Tirerack's website gives wheel weights, so you can compare.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

A good resource for wheel weights:

http://www.wheelweights.net/

here is a picture of the lightest 'normal' sized wheel:

http://machiii.net/images/wheels/volk/big_CE28N.jpg

I don't think the body kit will effect mileage that much at all. Negligible weight addition, as well as drag coefficient increase. It would reduce lift and underbody turbulence, but we have panels for that anyway ... but also if you are driving fast enough that a little more surface area is affecting mileage, your mileage at that point isn't great anyway. Increasing tire pressure would counteract most of what you lose from air drag. Those ultra-lightweight wheels would also counter the body panel weight addition, and if you can drop a few pounds

As far as mileage extremists ... I am waiting for someone to completely strip out their car and all unecessary components ... backseats, passenger seat, interior trim, windshield washer fluid, repace doors and body panels with carbon fiber ... hehe I have done it on a sports car for better handling and quicker acceleration, dropped about 1000 lbs from the car ... I bet the same can be done for the Honda Hybrids. If I didn't love all the luxurious feel I would consider it, but I like my creature comforts on this car.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by militiamc
My 06 civic hybrid is shipping from japan and i wanted to put some front and rear bumpers on it. side skirts maybe. Maybe even change the wack alloy wheels.

But the alloys are supposed to be 'lightweight' aluminium, and bodyside moulding is definately gonna add some weight, right?

Do you think it will reduce my mpg?
I believe it will. A friend of mine recently bought a 2006 HCH for his (university bound) kid and a month later he had the car treated to a body kit & rims upgrade - the kid and his friends complained the car looked awful . My friend actually is an engineering professor at the university and had the car wind tunnel tested before and after. He actually tests many vehicles and aircraft fuselages as part of his "research/work". In a chat I had with him a couple of weeks ago I asked him about it and he smiled and stated that the "stuff" he had Honda install had a small but measurable increase on the CoD. I think I will ask him for the detailed test results.

So, my personal take on these kits? Well install it if it makes you feel better. Otherwise you are likely defeating an otherwise perfect balance for the vehicle you have. Yes, stock looks bland but then the design of the HCH is all about efficiency.

Cheers;

MSantos