HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New HCHII Owner. Just Introducing Myself

Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Proud Owner
Default New HCHII Owner. Just Introducing Myself

Hi all!

I'm a long time reader, first time poster (LTRFTP). I just thought I'd introduce myself, since I'm now a proud owner of a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.

I've just finished my first tank, and am happy to say that my avg (according to the dash) was 47.x mpg. This was accomplished following many of the tips and tidbits found on the forums. I have yet to up my PSI, but I'll do that tomorrow to try and up the mpg.

My driving is done around the Washington D.C./Baltimore area, and I think I'll now be driving on I-95 (limit 65) much less and on 29 (limit 55) much more. I don't know how many of you guys are in the D.C. area as I have only seen one other HCHII and that was in a parking lot at a mall. I see a lot more Prius's (IMA > HSD! lol).

I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here, and hope to learn much more from you guys (and gals).

Oh yea, before I go. Quick question. Would you all recommend getting the windows tinted or not? The max legal % in MD is 30%. Dunno if it would be worth getting it for 30%.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New HCHII Owner. Just Introducing Myself

I'm going to get the tint for my HCHII here in California. We took the car on a family trip last month, and the back seat was uncomfortable due to the heat back there. Tinting would really help. I don't know the % limit in CA, but 30% would certainly help.

BTW, I used to live in Columbia, MD, and then in Pasadena, MD. No big hills there... should help your mileage!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by falcon9xr
Hi all!

I'm a long time reader, first time poster (LTRFTP). I just thought I'd introduce myself, since I'm now a proud owner of a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.

I've just finished my first tank, and am happy to say that my avg (according to the dash) was 47.x mpg. This was accomplished following many of the tips and tidbits found on the forums. I have yet to up my PSI, but I'll do that tomorrow to try and up the mpg.

My driving is done around the Washington D.C./Baltimore area, and I think I'll now be driving on I-95 (limit 65) much less and on 29 (limit 55) much more. I don't know how many of you guys are in the D.C. area as I have only seen one other HCHII and that was in a parking lot at a mall. I see a lot more Prius's (IMA > HSD! lol).

I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here, and hope to learn much more from you guys (and gals).

Oh yea, before I go. Quick question. Would you all recommend getting the windows tinted or not? The max legal % in MD is 30%. Dunno if it would be worth getting it for 30%.
Welcome to the forum. I live in So Cal and it is illegal to have any tint front of the driver's shoulder, although this is seldom enforced. Due to the recent hot weather I had both our cars tinted, 35% in front and 15% back windows and rear. I also has a narrow strip on the windshield (15%) just above the rearview mirror. I am quite happy with the results; the car is much cooler, (I don't get sun burn anymore) and looks great too. I cost $180.00 which is a small price to pay for the protection of the interior against fading and keeping the car c o o l.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

California Window Tint Laws California Window Tint Law
California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlift
California Window Tint Laws California Window Tint Law
California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.
I stand corrected. The information that I previously shared was taken from a waiver form at the Spectrum Tint. It states that they have advised me of the law and that they will not be responsible for any ticket I might get regarding the tint that the installed, although they did say that if ever I get a "fix it ticket" they will remove that tint free of charge. It makes me breathe easier to know that the tint that I put on my Civic and Prius are compliant with the law. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Energy Independence

Welcome, Falcon!

I would definitely consider tinting. Get a good front-window screen, too. I did.
It'll still be hot out in the sun, but not nearly AS bad. The fabric will fade less (a big plus), the dash will be less likely to crack, steering wheel will be cooler, and the AC will get the car cool quicker (helping FE). I dare say, the tint will even pay for itself over the car's lifetime.

What color is your HCH-II? Mine is Mag. Pearl, and the tinted windows and rear make it look even better.

BTW, love your sig.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I live in Southern California and my understanding is that the driver's and passenger's side windows cannot have any tint on them at all. I have the darkest legal tint on back passenger and rear windows.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Proud Owner

Thanks for your replies. I guess I will get the tinting job done. The highest legal maximum. The cost will be around $180, so I guess thats not too bad either.

My HCHII is Alabaster Silver.

Lol, I like my sig too.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:39 PM

Can someone explain to me how tinting the windows makes the car cooler. This seems counterintuitive to me. It seems to me you are taking light that had an opportunity to reflect out of the car through the windows and instead trapping the energy in the car.

So step 1: Absorb solar energy at the first window the light enters through.
Step 2: Absorb even more solar energy when it is outbound.

Plus, the tint is installed inside the windows.

Does most tint now have some sort of solar energy reflecting capability?

My car was professionaly tinted, and it is hot as hell in the sun.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Can someone explain to me how tinting the windows makes the car cooler. This seems counterintuitive to me. It seems to me you are taking light that had an opportunity to reflect out of the car through the windows and instead trapping the energy in the car.

So step 1: Absorb solar energy at the first window the light enters through.
Step 2: Absorb even more solar energy when it is outbound.

Plus, the tint is installed inside the windows.

Does most tint now have some sort of solar energy reflecting capability?

My car was professionaly tinted, and it is hot as hell in the sun.
They are designed to allow a significant transmittance of visible light. However, they block most (~99%) of the UV radiation. They also block a large portion of IR radiation. It does not matter that the film is on the inside of the window because the window glass is mostly IR transparent. It is the IR radiation that heats up all of the surfaces inside the car. The tint film could be thought of as an IR mirror. For the most part, it is not absorbing the radiation, but reflecting it back out. I would imagine that your car would be even hotter, or get hot faster, without the tint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New HCHII Owner. Just Introducing Myself

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands