HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Odometer Error = Lower Real MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 PM
iSteve
Default Re: Odometer Error = Lower Real MPG

it works on the non navi model, it was in the dealers workshop manual,
i have a GPS carin VDO fitted and the radio is spot on accurate with the GPS, nut im buggered if I know why the speedo is out as there both Digital

Steve

Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Its funny, because I have noticed a distinct difference between my odo and trip computer on my HAH. It always ends up at least 6 or 8 miles different. You might be onto something.

Bill

Old 04-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve
If you Turn the Standard radio with the 1 and 6 buttons depressed, The radio enters daignostic mode,
Now press 5 and the readout will be the vehicle speed, turn radio off to return to normal

Interestingly this mode is sopt on with my GPS, and 3 Kilometers under the Speedo. Go Figure.
Anyone have more information about this diagnostic mode and what can be shown/done while in it?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Since I replaced the 15" Hybrid wheels and tires with the 16" wheels and tires from an EX, the speedometer is within .2 mph of both a Garmin GPS and the GPS speed readout in the Navigation radio diagnostic menus.

close enough for me. Just another reason to get rid of those pie pan wheels!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

First time poster here...

Just bought a 'pre-owned' 2006 HCH, and noticed it was pulling to the left.. so sent it back to the dealer to be aligned, it's back tonight for more adjustments, as it is still pulling left (another story for another post after I get the car back tomorrow)...

Anyways back to this thread.... ... after I got my HCH back the first time, I asked the dealer to print me out a list of Recalls that had been completed on the car..... I saw one line item that stated "Vaughn Class Action Honda"... hmmm I Googled it...and, if I read the Class action correctly, this would be the reason for your Odometer difference...

(I did a search of the HCH forums for "Vaughn" and came up empty....)

I commute to work one way, 66 miles... according to my HCH's tripometer... but, Google maps says it's 64 miles. I believe my Ipaq, with Mapopolis... says 64 miles.....

Tomorrow I drive the Mercury Villager, since the HCH is back in the shop for the 2nd time, in less than two months for what I believe is a very big issue with the alignment... I'll check my Trip odometer in the Mercury Villager tomorrow morning and see if it's closer to 66... or 64 miles....

I'm very interested in changing over to a tire size/rim size that makes my odometer accurate and thus the displayed MPG.

Stephen

Last edited by sjtsnix; 12-03-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Related topic, which also questions the accuracy of GPS tracking.

Specific to the HCH-II: If the odometer and/or speedometer proves to be off, then how can the displayed fuel-efficiency be rationalized as accurate? That is, where does it get an alternate distance measure? Is it making a lucky guess with some factor of adjustment?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Who said the displayed fuel economy readout was accurate? It will always only be a good estimate. You should divide miles by gallons when you refill if you want a more accurate indicator of real FE. Just keep in mind that some folks, like me, have seen consistent evidence of odometer error that favors better FE.

Also, aside from my original Garmin GPS test, I now have evidence from my HCH's own nav system that the odo error is real. Over Thanksgiving, I drove from San Jose to Tucson and back. I have always noticed that the Nav distance and the distance on my odo don't agree. On my return my Nav said 827 miles to my home in San Jose. When I got home, my odometer read 846 miles. Using Google Earth I was able to determine I added an extra 1.2 miles during the rest stops. Taking that in account, that works out to roughly a 2% odometer error over a long trip with mainly very straight roads (I-5 and I-10).

-dan

Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 AM

Unfortunately we are not dealing with an expensive swiss made wristwatch here. What we have here is Japanese technology at its best.... Not to incite rage in anyone here, but these are inexpensive computers calculating an estimated figure using rotational magnetics or similar technology.

Some error rate discrepancy is considered okay, if not, the government would step in on consumer behalf. Major discrepancy is consider odometer fraud.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yep. I accept that the odometer is not correct and I've come to expect it when I get a new car. I don't accept the notion that they couldn't make it be more accurate at no additional cost.

Nonetheless, consumers should be aware of it when it happens for several reasons:

1) when you are as sensitive to fuel economy as HCH owners are, you'd probably want to know your true FE, right?

2) when your car breaks just beyond the mileage cap on your warranty, you'd probably like to know that you really are legally still under warranty.

3) when the factory or manufacturer generally benefits from a product error at the consumer's expense such as in the case of my car, it doesn't leave a pleasant taste in mouth and I'd want to know.

The power sliding doors on my Sienna failed at 36,260 miles and the dealer said sorry, we can only fix it for $2000 because you are out of warrranty. When I told them about the odometer error, they readily agreed to cover the repair. How many other people get screwed because they don't know?

Don't get me wrong, I love my HCH . Normally I would hate to drive such an underpowered car, but I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to get good mileage. It's a game I look forward to everytime I drive it. I do want to know how good my mileage really is though.

-dan

Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 PM

Yes, yes, we all want to say we got the irrefutable truth, dammit. And Americans are litigious. But wherever you point to one measurement as accurate you will find another person telling you that you are wrong. GPS distance tracking isn't as accurate as you may believe, nor is navigation, except under strict test conditions. Heck, I'd sooner now tell someone to drive a mile, get out and check the distance with a measuring wheel.

I'm not trying to sell a point as I've already grown tired of the nitpicking. This is just for the interest of those who believe one thing exclusively and should be aware of other possibilities. In that topic I referred to, one was suggesting that the his fuel efficiency computer was nearly dead on because the difference between GPS and odometer distance accounted for the same discrepancy when doing manual calculations.